TESLA Cross Country (Off Road) Concept

Hi there, this is an off road vehicle concept I finished working on a while ago and I am excited to share it here with you guys. Let me know what you think.

Full Work : Behance

Here are some sketches from my Tesla’s concept.

Full Work : Behance

I love the emotion in your sketches - nice thoughts on element transition and form study + brand. Very cool.

Hot!!

R

cheers. I am very glad that you like it :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

The sketches are super strong, killer visuals. And an electric off roader makes sense as you get a lot of torque to each wheel. The design language I think could align more. Tesla has been moving away from grilles. Look at the Model S, to the Model X to the Model 3 and Model S facelift. Also their design strategy is to create fluid, classically styled vehicles without a lot of extra form or trend based details. I think it would be great to see what an off roader that obeys those parameters would look like.

I posted this on your other topic. I’m going to collapse these two topics together as they are for the same project, do you want it in projects or sketches?

“The sketches are super strong, killer visuals. And an electric off roader makes sense as you get a lot of torque to each wheel. The design language I think could align more. Tesla has been moving away from grilles. Look at the Model S, to the Model X to the Model 3 and Model S facelift. Also their design strategy is to create fluid, classically styled vehicles without a lot of extra form or trend based details. I think it would be great to see what an off roader that obeys those parameters would look like.”

Hey how is it going. Thanks a lot for the great feedback. The reason why I used that grille in the front, I wanted to have a drawer compartment open up for the replacement wheels, and I used a textured plastic for that part to separate it visually in order to separate its functionality from the rest of the design and yet give it a more rugged off road look. I also tried to use symmetry and simpler surfaces to make it look more off road. I think a super fluid design wouldn’t go in line with an off road car that well. But I see your points as well :slight_smile:

Regards,
Alireza Saeedi

BTW, do you know how can I reach Tesla with my project? I have tried messaging them about it but no answers. Any advice there?

It doesn’t matter either one is OK. I guess we could have a good conversation on the other one on “projects” and I can ask you some design related questions.

there seem to be more ppl on this “sketching” thread viewing projects tho…

Alireza, I agree. I think people maybe intimidated to post there own work.

I merged them and left a ghost in the sketching forum. I’ve met the head of design at Tesla 3 or 4 times. I can send him a link but I suspect his feedback may be similar :slight_smile:

That would be so awesome if you can do that :slight_smile: :open_mouth: I have been trying so hard to get in touch with them, but since I don’t go to a car design school like CCS or Art Center i have very few connections. I doubt if they have any internships or any interest but I would love to work there if I could.

I feel like I need to work on my fine arts skills like gesture drawings to loosen up my sketching skills in order to add fluidity to my works. I think because the ID discipline is so hardwired in my brain, I have a very stiff and realistic approach to my sketches and renderings, therefore that’s why they look more like illustrations and that’s why they don’t look as exaggerated or provocative as what Transportation design students do.
I really need to let go and loosen up, and allow for more emotion and abstract sketches, so I’ll have to become more of an artist at this point.
My renderings look super realistic and technical which leave no room for viewers to have any imagination or suggestions, while Transportation designers do loose renderings that can be more engaging…I don’t know. I’m still in the process of figuring it out and defining my style. I want my works to be different from other car designers, I want them to be more purposeful and relatable and understandable. Thus why I gravitate so much towards ID than Transportation in design philosophy.
Hopefully in future projects I can do better.
Let me know if you can get in touch with the head of Tesla’s design. Thank you so much!

@Michael DiTullo I was wondering have you by any chance heard back from Tesla

Your sketches are great, from what I see you will be very good as a car designer overall and fit the Tesla brand.
I agree that you can adapt your sketches more towards a coherent philosophy, and stick more to brand guidelines.
Take them as a challenge more than a rule. I like how you explored options for the grille though since leaving it out while retaining a suggestion of a grille as Tesla is doing with the Model 3 is not a very strong solution.

You explore a lot and in that some sketches don’t make too much sense for the project, but that is something you develop with time. Some sketches are right on the spot so overall your design work is very strong. Keep the illustrative touch, it makes the sketches stand out. I also agree loose sketching helps a lot in the early stages, working on developing volumes together with lines and then translating your findings to the car, rather than immediately thinking from a ‘this has to be a car’ viewpoint.

You are being given a great chance, many people go into transportation design to then step into automotive but never find a chance to get into the industry. Don’t push too hard, you are a great designer.