Re: Career change advice? Giving up on being a designer.

I am glad you wrote about your experience, but I am sorry you have had to go through it. What you describe, is what I expect to be the experience for a large majority of industrial designers and grads (I have no proof, just a hunch). It is a really tough industry, not a lot of jobs, even fewer ones that are going to be satisfying.

It has crossed my mind in the past what kind of skills we posses already, and I do think a like of the CAD work is the more transferable, like someone else said. CNC operator or anything similar I can see being an easy transition, but more or less a CAD jockey. Or, if you have had the opportunity to do any type of business plans, you may be able to find a job like a category manager, merchandiser, or project manager. I like the idea of UI/UX, but there would be time needed to develop those skills like coding. But on the flip side it sounds like you have all the experience you need to make a product come to life, do you have any product ideas?

Personally, I started a bit of a more extreme route this year though, in preparation for my departure from the industry… a 15-18 month Bachelors in Nursing. No more having to go where the jobs are, which has been my biggest gripe.