Pursuing a career in design at 36...

I went to College (CCS, full time) for the first time when I was 32, I was 36 when I graduated. I was married, had a small farm and a two hour one way drive to school. I wanted it bad enough that I got up at 4:30 am to feed the animals, then made that drive twice a day for four years. It was rough, my wife thinks the school is really a cult, (because we disappear for 4 years, talk in an odd designer language and dress funny). It was a huge hit on us financially, my school worked suffered because of the 4 hours a day I spent driving, I dropped out of the transportation design program, into product design in the second semester of my junior year because of it. It has not been a perfect career, but if I had not done it I would be constantly telling myself I should of done it.

But, it paid off, I was hired before I graduated, I have started three internal design studios over my career, am the senior ID for global innovation at my current job (started their design studio too) and even get to design some concept car lighting on the side. I love what I do, I like going to work and don’t want to do anything else. I realize this post is all about me, not really any good advice, I just wanted you to know there are others out there that were in your position. If you want your life to change, you have to do something you have never done before.

Only you can decide how bad you want it, and if you go for it, make the commitment in full!