Job Hunting Problems - Advice Needed!

Are you interested in any particular area of industrial design? Your current portfolio is quite broad, and you’re showing furniture, a mouse, a 3D printed watch and a dog monitor all in the one place. The best advice I’ve been given is to tailor some of your work to target the area/company that you want to work in.

Apply the skills that you’ve developed in the professional world to tailored personal projects. Another thing that I’ve seen mentioned a lot on these boards is that people often get noticed because of their personal work, done in their own time, and not just because of their professional accomplishments. The dog project feels much more personal than your other 3 projects to me and captured the most of my attention.

Your actual folio has a lot of good content, but the big blocks of text are distracting and to be honest, I’m not going to read it. I want you to show me how to you think. An image/sketch of a dog happily engaging with a tug toy with an icon or short+sharp caption conveying the core message (‘physically and emotionally engaging dog is beneficial’) is more easily understood than a sketch and a block of text explaining it, and much more likely to hold my attention.

Good luck with it!