Job Hunting Problems - Advice Needed!

Hey Jennifer,

I’m in London right now as well, and it’s definitely a competitive market! I wouldn’t get discouraged after only 3 months, but it’s definitely worth shaking up your approach and seeing if there’s anything you can do to increase your response rate.

What kinds of jobs are you looking for? In-house or consultancy? Any specific field?

I just moved here from Silicon Valley, which requires a pretty aggressive approach. I’ve had to adapt a bit for the way brits do things, but it can definitely give you a competitive advantage to stay aggressive and engaged, since most applicants won’t.

My general approach when I see a posting I like is to immediately pull up the website of the recruiting firm. When you apply, it will give you the name of the recruiter who posted the ad. Call the recruiting firm and ask for them, tell them that you just applied to one of their positions and that you’d like more information about the role, and give one or two reasons why you align with the job posting to pique their interest. You’ve essentially got yourself an interview with the recruiter at this point, and if you do well, they’ll remember you and get you an interview with the company.