Current Styling Trends, What do you think?

This one’s pretty cool. Psychedelic, cosmic, multi-colored, holographic, iridescent, rainbow. Shamelessly linking to my own board: http://pin.it/ySgWS5P

Very Cool, thanks for sharing !

Another one : Strong Chamfers

Minimalism - Primitives

Organic Design, especially those frame structures. Lovegrove’s products aren’t particularly recent but I think they captured the upcoming trend.

I think of trends more as a visual language than products in a category. I am a product designer, but I like to understand the emotional “feeling” you are trying to design for.

I feel like the retro “90’s” throwback styling is going to trend for 2017. A lot of color, neon, negative space. minimalism. visual weight. I also see a lot of inspiration in natural patterns.

4c16004057e3fe048210dbe7a7a5e77c.jpg
1e40c055051841191e674f10a5ac89d2.jpg
3a7206ce8289b8a900f4a41300ea2ce4.jpg

More of a material but wood is used really often in products it didn’t before such as electronics. I would say lighter wood essence combined with white parts is seen often now.

The 90s are definitively making a comeback ! Thanks for sharing.

hey, I am a bit late, but I just saw this on the frontpage. Does anyone know what backpack this is in the first panel?

I’m curious, too.

This is a little different from the mood boards that have been posted, but this is a great little article about influential products that were released this year: The 2016 Product Releases That Will Shape the Future of American Style | Complex

PrintScreen + Reverse Image search gave me this :

Adding another one: Color accents. Especially colored lines against a neutral tone.

These are great Philippe!

Thanks Michael. Just doing my yearly trends research and thought I’d share it as I go. Just wished more people would chip in !

I’ll share one -

Non Linear Patterns

Cool, Thanks !

Alright here’s one. Fully rounded edges, with the most obvious examples being the Apple Watch and iPhone.

I’ve noticed speckling/marbling be a finish trend over the last year or so:

Ah, I’ve been curious about this one. For manufacturing, does anyone know how this is normally applied? Looks like sometimes it’s just printed on the surface, but is there also a way to do it with an additive in the raw material?

@brian_donlin

I too have been curious about this. A few options i found (some from thread here on the LAPKA piece). In mold decoration; looks good but easy to scratch off potentially. Adding higher or lower temp polymer in your plastic; may take a lot to dial it in to prevent mold flow/smearing. Flex/paid printing. Post mold painting. Think im explaining them correctly but could be wrong.

https://www.durat.com/products/material/