How often do you use analog vs. digital?

• How much do you use analog vs. digital drawing? (Across the whole process, from preliminary sketches to a ‘final’ piece you’d present to clients?

60 % Analog, 40 % Digital.

• Do you use mainly analog for one part of the process and then mostly digital for another?

Analog for internal reviews, digital for client presentation.

• If you do use mostly analog/digital for certain things, do you ever find yourself in a position where you have to cross over and use the other? If someone’s super comfortable doing final marker renderings but hates doing finals digitally, can they get away with just being The Marker Guy forever? Vice versa, can you get away with always using digital?

Cross over? All the time. For personal things doesn’t matter if it’s analog or digital or a mix of them. But sometimes deadlines and guidelines in work for certain projects… yes… they do matter !!. In example: We work for a client with a Graphic Design background, so

• Related: do you wish you’d spent more time in school working on the format you’re less comfortable with, or do you think students should focus on just getting really good at one or the other?

the best sketches I’ve seen are a little mix of both worlds. So I guess improvement comes with time, rather than methods.

• How much flexibility do you have to choose whether you want to use digital or analog? We had a talk with a guy who said that the standard in his office is to use Sketchbook for 100% of their preliminary sketches. They might do a rough napkin sketch with a pen, but basically everything that moves beyond that point is digital. Does your boss usually dictate the format they want, or is it generally up to your personal preferences?

In my case, personal preference: doodling in analog, retouching in digital. Not so old school, not so modern. I’ve found my eyes get tired sooner in digital worflows, and health it’s an issue, a big one.

• If you work with/manage new graduates, would you rather that schools emphasize one format over the other? Have you run into issues with students that were mainly trained in one format? What drawing skills are most important to you when hiring?

I would love to see much more work on the basics/fundamentals of sketching in schools (also related to the “creative process”). another thing I would advice it’s to prvide comprehensive methods to build confidence in the generations of desinergs to come. A lot of people want to draw only in digital, but in some meetings or reviews, a paper and pen or pencil are just the right way to do.

About the skills I can say: Those skills that allows an entire team to make decisions.

Sorry for the short answers !!.