What are you reading?

If we are counting children’s books, my son and I just started Scooby-Doo Teams Up issues 1 and 2. I have fond memories of Scooby-Doo and the Batman TV series, and the comic book is giving me a few inside jokes to keep me entertained. Meanwhile, my son just loves Batman, so he is loving it.

Just read “Kill em and Leave” great short read on James Brown. Beautifully written. Just started “Wind, Sand and Stars” by Saint-Exupery. Old book about his time flying mail from France to north Africa. Im a sucker for adventure books

+1 for Wind, Sand, and Stars. Wish I knew enough French to read it in the original text. All of those St-Ex short stories are good, compiled in ‘Airman’s Odyssey’. He has a way of making strong, clear statements about the goodness in life, having courage to do dangerous work, and creating bonds between people.

Oh good to know, will check out his other work. I too wish i could have read it in the original French, really beautiful writing. Have you ever read Beryl Markham or Roald Dahls book when he was in the RAF? Both fantastic

Roald Dahl is a perennial favorite, will definitely look into that, thanks.

Short read, but super interesting

I highly recommend “Naughty Kitty”. My 15 month old daughter and I love it.

Also, about 50 pages into “To Engineer is Human”. I read a chapter in school 15 years ago. I had to skip a chapter because the beginning is so boring though. It’s getting better now though.

Finished ‘The Martian Chronicles’. It was much more whimsical and darkly humored than I was expecting. Its an allegory on human societies, stereotyping, and culture clash/shock. The next-to-last chapter was moving, describing the end-of-life procedure for a robotic house.

Now I’m onto Hawking: “A Brief History of Time”.

Oh yeah, Martian Chronicles is a great book!

recently finished The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart… it has nothing to do with Andrew Dice Clay. Written in 1971 it is about a psychologist who decides to make every decision in life based on rolling dice. It is one of those seminal books but I just didn’t like it at all. I’m a pretty voracious reader but I struggled to get through it hoping it would turn around… however Luke Rhinehart’s new book “Invasion” is hilariously awesome. It is about a group a furry spherical aliens who invade earth as playful pets originally but then hack into all of the governmental and financial systems to bring down model society because they think it is silly and illogical. Give that one a read for sure!

I tried to read Hawking in high school and didn’t get passed the introduction. I hope it’s better as an adult.

Currently slogging through “The Final Pagan Generation” Basically fourth century life under the roman empire prior to Christianity. Thus far is better than Ambien, hoping it will pick up soon.

I’m always devouring SF books. I need to read for 30-45 minutes before going to sleep and reading SciFi always gets my mind off the whatever was occupying my mind and thinking about broader themes. I just finished up “Children of Time” by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Really interesting premise. It caught me by surprise! Now starting “The End of All Things” by John Scalzi. I read all of his stuff. He has such a witty style.

Good recommendations yo. I like the art on the ‘End of All Things’ cover, pretty classic SF look.

The Hawkings book has me stumped, four chapters in. Trying to create a mental model of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle burns through all available brain-RAM…its not a “before bed” book.

Also started ‘Zero K’, Don DeLillo’s newest book, its about cryopreservation.

Recently finished the book “Let my people go surfing” by the Patagoina founder Yvon Chouinard.

I’ve found it to be fairly inspirational. It reinforced the notion that big brands and big business don’t all need to follow the same set of rules. Not all companies gauge their success on profits. Patagonia has always had a different priority, one that is based on creating the best possible products for their users, with a strong environmental conscience.

Finished To Engineer is Human. If you like engineering failures and analysis, read the last half of this short book. It’s a good summary of engineer-y FMEA analysis kind of thinking.

50 pages into “Creative Change” by Jennifer Mueller.

[ Deleted ]

When I try to draw well, I draw like a Manga artist. It’s really annoying.

Just finished, “Creative Change” by Jennifer Mueller. I feel like this and “The Innovator’s Dilemma” should be required reading for all designers.

“Creative Change” discusses the bias that most people have against creative ideas and how this bias is magnified in business decision making. It also discusses how to open up to creative change through self-change, pitch ideas in ways that will reduce the bias, manage projects more effectively and ultimately change the culture of business to be more open to creative change.

It made me feel not so all alone. There were at least 5 situations that the author describes that could have been taken from my career. No wonder I’m so grumpy!

@Architorture, that book (Let my people go surfing) is on my list!

I’ve been on a sci-fi binge lately, read Ender’s Game, Ready Player One and The Circle. Highly recommend The Circle, if you’re into sci-fi and also if you’re a big fan of The Black Mirror episodes on Netflix.
9780345807298.jpg

Just finished a world tour for work which included 60 hours of flying over the last 3 weeks. So I finished reading a few books.

-Who Moved My Cheese
-Good to Great
-Creative Inc.
-Shoe Dog

Been reading a lot of business books lately trying to get my business chops up.

[ Deleted ]