Sadie's Daily Sketch

DAY 2 - Climbing Shoes

Yesterday I drew rock climbing shoes as I worked at the wall helping belay and assist climbers. I think climbing shoes are unique from other types of footwear in their function and loud aesthetic. Climbing shoes are soled with sticky rubber to help grip surfaces, and they come in many varieties like laces, velcro, and slip-on. They have these interesting low cut ankles to allow rotation of the joint, and they are bought several sizes too small and worn without socks. Eventually, the suede stretches into the most form-fitting shoes you could hope for.

These shoes have unique forms as well, such as the strangely boxy toe and varying aggressiveness or curve to the arch. All of these features contribute to a function; the former to increased surface area and friction, the latter to make the show more accurate at the toe. Many have strange color and design inspirations as well; I’m a fan of So iLL’s retro inspired shoes, the first to offer colored rubber with great stickiness.

Overall I think climbing shoes are a joy to draw, and I hope to do more of my own designs soon!