Sketching in Seattle's coffee shops

I love your sketch style - but as mentioned it fits far more with the toy industry or baby products. This sketch is a good variant and fits a style more related to the product. Keeping in mind that once you add the consistent and thick “sharpie” to the sketch along with your “abundant highlights” this will immediately fall back into the toy sketch style.

Now keeping in mind this is not bad but there are some potential down falls. a story to build off of.

I had a intern when i was managing a housewares focused design office - the intern had a very similar sketch style but did not see the value in following my advice to try and switch it up based on what he was trying to achieve. his first project was for a design that would communicate sophistication and elegance. Now if you where able to see past the sketch style and evison what the designs would look like he nailed it. Unfortunately when presenting to Marketing / Sales / Engineering / President all they could see and say is that the designs looked “toyish” and did communicate what we where trying to do with the brand.

During the meeting i told everyone that we would take do another round of form studies - after everyone left the intern looked at me and said “you want me to re-sketch these in a different style”" second presentation same concepts different sketch style and they where loved.

Now one does not need to change their style but one should be aware how that style reads to other and if it is visually communicating the desired intent.