Portfolio Review

Hey Everyone!

Currently in my final year of Product Design @ DIT, Ireland.
I’ve currently got three portfolio pieces that I’d consider almost ready with two more to be added.
I’ve already gotten feedback off a few designer’s, but I thought I’d try to get a wider spectrum of feedback.
Anything is welcome!

Portfolio (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B5z9vKWTnoIrR3JnOWlOcTJEcnM

Kind Regards,
Karl Martin

Hi Karl,

I had a quick look through the portfolio and the way you have presented each project is great.
The overall portfolio has a professional feel to it thanks to good use of images as well as showing stages from each step of the design process.
I particularly like to see sketching and prototyping skills which you have done.

The only thing I’m not too keen on is the way that I viewed them. I think it might be a better idea to have a look at combining the projects into one document but that’s personal preference.
I think it might also be good to have a brief introduction page into the portfolio just to introduce yourself, but again this is personal preference.

You definitely have a strong base to work from, so I can only see it improving.
Good luck in your final year :slight_smile:

Hi Karl,

In your Bark project, you mentioned in one of the pages “A lot of inspiration was taken from Omlet who design pet products in the UK.” As an audience reviewing your work without any background, I don’t know what Omlet is?… a brand reference/mood board referencing your inspiration would fill in that gap for me. A page of market research/competitor products of current offering would also support your product’s viability.

LiteFire project – I think first two pages are straightforward and simple. Page 3 though has a lot of information for me to download. I can easily see that in two page spread over one. Perhaps one page of your “key observation” and the other “directions to take based on key observations” Page 4 has lot of merit…I first briefly skimmed them over, and went back and noticed that form exploration are kind of repetitive. What were some of its technical constraints? How are handle shapes defined – based on use and scenario (storage, inactive & active use)?

Overall, great presentation. I think you nailed the layout – it’s easy to follow & read. Sketching skill is strong. I can see you put a lot of hard work in it. Your work ethic really comes through. Best of luck in your final year!

@mcpbowman Thanks for the feedback, I will be combining in the future! Thanks

@smyoung Thanks for the constructive feedback. You were right, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I’ve updated accordingly, page 3 in LiteFire was something I wasn’t happy with but now it’s something I’m pleased with. I’ve also changed bark with an inspiration / existing products page to link the mention about Omlet.

Thanks!

I hav a question about your project on Nepal. I am a design student as well, (and think your portfolio looked great,) currently looking to do a design abroad trip in India.

Could you just describe how you can to be involved with this trip? And how as your experience, valuable, or did it feel like design tourism?

Really nice, clean, interesting portfolio. I really like it, especially the quality of the images you’ve used and the process you cover. There was one part that stuck out for me though (which is minor, and I’m not sure why it stuck out for me), your description of you doesn’t really give me much of a feel for you, sure you’re enthusiastic, self-driven and want to design innovative products for people… but isn’t this the same as most designers? Your work is really strong, and I’d imagine most people will likely hire you based on that… but why do I want to work with you? What makes you different? What makes you stand out?

I think it looks good for your experience. Most importantly, I see the potential in your growth if given the opportunity. :smiley: