Feedback on robot vacuum project

Great process, glad to see you guys had to do a final physical model, well done.

Now to the design. My assumption is that your mentors wanted you guys to be able to translate the visual language of a brand to product not related or done by that brand. It’s a legitimate learning project and I wish more students would do something like it.

Your presentation lacks ideation, how did you arrive at that final aesthetic? You start with a couple of sketches and then proceed to show the clay model. To be honest, if you didn’t have the huge Milwaukee logo I would have a hard time knowing it was Milwaukee. I think your forms need additional development and detailing. I feel like you need additional part lines and textures or at least another material change…overmolds, die cast metal…?

It seems like you tried to compromise or tone down the visual language because it was a “home” robotic vacuum. If it was my project I would design it as a “shop” or industrial space robotic vacuum so that you could stay true to the visual language and details.

About clay models. I’m sure some companies/studios do them but I would say most designers have moved on to RP parts from 3D models. Especially for a project like yours. If it was a smaller project, wearable or very organic then clay may make more sense in order to fine tune the shapes and proportions.

I still would have liked to see your ideation sketches and your refinement 2D illustrations (Illustrator/photoshop) and/or your refinement 3D CAD models. The way this project is presented showcases your model making skills…not much about design.