Industrial Designer with a Pet products brand - AMA!

It kinda depends on direct retail, wholesale, big box and distributor sales.

I began with my landed costs and planned for a retail price that would allow profit in any sales channel. This has changed over the years. I started out with a fat margin, planning for the eventual day when I would sell to a big box store. For reference, they usually ask for about 20% off wholesale (or more), so for a $100 retail product, I’d sell to them at $40. For example: one of my first products landed at ~$30, and I set retail at $150.

My focus now is direct retail through our site and amazon.

Over the years I’ve lowered my prices and am currently experimenting with a target gross margin of 66% and net of 33%. Then other business costs would come out of that 33%, with a target overall net of 20%.

I do run my business very lean, and I think I can make this happen. In my category, lower prices seem to do well. Add in the high MOQ from the factories and everything points to low retail prices and sell, sell, sell!

I do plan to distribute overseas, and when those prices will likely be about 10-25% over factory cost. That would be container QTY orders only.