Which monitor should I get?

I’m would like to get a monitor thats larger than 27" and would work with Mac and PC. Any good suggestions?

I bought an LG 34" Ultrawide for home use (mostly Macbook Pro), as it was a slightly better deal at the time than an Apple screen. Since then we’ve bought three more for the ID team, and a sprinkling of engineers around the company got them too. Works well with Mac and PC; heck you can even plug both computers in at once and split the screen. Color calibration is a bit finicky but I don’t obsess about that stuff too much.

Ditto - I’ve switched to the LG 34" both at home and at work. I use the 34UM95 at home and the 34UM88 at work. Both are thunderbolt monitors so I can connect my Macbook with just a single cable. At home it lets me easily switch between my PC tower to my Macbook just by changing inputs.

It occasionally is finicky with changing inputs, but the color calibration is extremely good out of the box (I calibrated my 95 with a Spyder and it was 95% of the way there)

If you want a display for both platforms IMO it’s the way to go. Great for gaming and movies as well.

Isn’t 34 inch 21:9 very small on the vertical space? I use a 32 inch 16:9 monitor but would happily use a 30 inch 16:10 also.

It’s identical in height to a 27" 16:9 1440P display, but with an extra ~8" of width tacked on to the sides. So if you were a former user of a 27" Thunderbolt display, it’s an easy upgrade.

If you are PC only, then 30" 4K displays have their advantages, especially if pixel count is more important. I had a Dell 16:10 30" for a short period of time and found the extra vertical height to be too much for how close I was sitting. The 27" Dell was a nicer blend of PPI to screen real estate and the 34" just added some more room for additional windows and tool bars off to the side so I could go from being a dual monitor user to single monitor user without too much of a hurdle and eliminating the bezel in the middle of my screen.

Maybe I’m lazy but I feel like I’d have to turn my head too much for a 21:9. I do like a bit more vertical space than a 27" 16:9 too. I’ve used a 28" 16:10 before that was really good (size, at least, but only 1920 x 1200).
I think my next monitor would be a 4K 40" and I would sit a littler further back from it. That’s my plan anyway, if anyone makes a good one under £400 max.

Go for 28" UE590 UHD Monitor, I got it and it works great. The colors are sharp and the design is also slim. With 4k+ ultra HD features. The image cleanup, system design and the color is great.

I have a 28" 4k Dell monitor at work. I don’t recommend it at this size. Also if you’re still on Windows 7 it is broken everywhere for DPI scaling. Many plugins and hotfixes needed to get 4k at such a small size to be usable in many CAD programs. Work PCs will upgrade to Windows 10 soon and I will see if that resolves it.

My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw LG’s 43-inch monitor. It’s a true 4K monitor, not a TV, and it was on sale for less than $500.

clicks link, sees price https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

Fixed it, I had the wrong product link. Somehow the specs are similar but the price is four times higher.

Philips just announced another 43-incher.

http://media.maxborgesagency.com/press/new-philips-monitor-the-first-to-achieve-hdr1000-certification/

I have to say I sort of struggle with anything past 40" unless you are using it at a much greater distance. I originally bought a 30" Dell Ultrasharp but wound up downsizing it to the 27" because I found myself moving my neck too much just to see things.

I can see it being useful if you need 4X inputs from multiple machines, or put the monitor much further away. But if you sit arms distance from your screen it just seems like a lot of panning and off axis viewing. The 34" is nice because it’s the exact same height as the 27" just wider.

I agree, the size can be overkill for personal use. Just looking at the LG 43-inch on display at the store it seemed like it required tilting your head up and down constantly.

Large size monitors are nice for reviewing work collaborately (like when you have to cram four people in your cubicle!). I’ve used the large TV’s in the conference rooms to review 3D work and the colors and gradients don’t come across as well.

We ordered a few of the Samsung 48" widescreens, and I went back to the dual 27" dell. I actually ended up losing resolution despite the actual screen size being roughly the same. Also, your programs open across the entire monitor, where I then have to undock it and manual resize. There were programs that acted as if there was a split, but it never really worked (I really like having the monitor division to keep documents separate).

Also, I found the angle of the screen to not be curved enough for the width. It didnt seem as though I was looking straight on the screen at the 1/3 mark of the monitor (where the center of my current monitor is now). This seemed to lead to a lot of reflection issues.

The widescreen also caused some serious issue with the counterstrike HUD.

That’s because you bought TVs, not monitors.

Nope, it is a monitor. I thought it was 48, but it is apparently 49"

Oh, that one. The only 48" screens they do are TVs.

The problem with that is it’s only a 1080P ultra-wide, compared to a 1440P ultra-wide. So the loss of resolution had more to do with the screen type. Gaming monitors are optimized for lower resolution and higher refresh rates compared to color accuracy and resolution.

I really don’t see a need for anything past 27 inches. It’s about resolution and image quality at that point. I’d just get two 27 inch monitors or an ultrawide.

A monitor for a computer has you sitting less then 2 feet away from it. Your eyeline should point to the top of the screen. Past 27 inches and you are below it.

I’d only go bigger if you are seated several feet away and the objective is to show people standing in the back a good image.