Naming your business

Interesting discussion. We help companies over the years come up with company names among other branding concepts.

Re Association
I especially like the ‘re associations’ like Frog Design. I recall describing to customers about re allocations and using Frog as the example that being a successful company name. Going on to explain that when I hear Frog, I now think of the company as opposed to the amphibian. SUN was/is another favorite re accusation.

Using your name
I worked at the Joss Design group in the early 90’s as a studio engineer. They did all kinds of branding. I always liked the four letter ‘JOSS’ and they did cool things w/ the last name logo and it’s the same today. I personally never liked the idea of using ones name to brand the design firm or company. It just seams so vain but doing that does ensure the attention of the owner’s integrity. Makes for a good story when selling yourself to a potential customer as well. ‘its got my name on it’

I also worked at Chicago’s Goldmith Yamasaki Speck in the 90’s and recall hearing the founders talk about the Igloo Cooler Company. Originally the company was named after three founders last names. I did a couple searches to recall what it was called but didn’t find it but it was ironically something similar to their the awkward Goldmith Yamasaki Speck name. Once the first cooler was branded ‘Igloo’ and made one year of sales, then Paul Speck introduced the idea to the three partners the idea of re branding the company after their successful cooler. I’m guessing that was around 1972 What I recal from talking to Paul was that it would be inappropriate to offer the company name change before a year of successful sales even though Paul thougt to offer the idea sooner.

Acronym
Then there is the acronym. Not a big fan but those work. It seams companies that have a cool name and often try to create an acronym in hind sight. creating an acronym in an afterthoughts often don’t work.

Icons
I really like what New Belgium Brewery did by using by utilizing the iconic bicycle + using Hatch Design with illustrations by Boston, MA-based Leah Giberson < gogole her and you may recognize her paintings on the bear packaging.

In the end i guess Im trying to point out that selling it by telling a story. Maybe re telling the story the founders already know and doing all that at the right time is what it takes to sell branding.