What is BMW doing?

As FYI - live streaming of BMW Group’s "Iconic Impulses. The BMW Group Future Experience.” in Los Angeles - part of THE NEXT 100 YEARS WORLD TOUR - is today Tuesday, October 11 @ 10 am PST/1 pm EST.
Exhibition features BMW Vision, MINI Vision, and ROLLS ROYCE Vision concepts.

Live Stream link:

More detail:
Luxury SUVs, Sedans, Coupes, Convertibles & Crossovers | BMW USA with Facebook live link

Open to public from October 13th to 16th: The Barker Hangar, 3021 Airport Ave, #203, Santa Monica, CA 90405

BMW Motorrad Vision Next 100 revealed:

More info on BMWBLOG http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/10/11/world-premiere-bmw-motorrad-vision-next-100/

whoa, that is pretty surprising!

Damn, that BMW concept is so heavy and static, visually. I can see how the shape was developed based on heritage, but the overall aesthetics don’t seem to fit motorcycles very well to me. It’s neither going for straight line power or flickable city/canyon riding. Nope, with respect, but I’m not feeling it.

Self balancing motorcycle, huh… Sounds safe but how is it gonna ride though? Nice idea either way, BMW got my vote! We’re this closer to having a tron bike.

I agree. Now the car are not only for transportation but also for commodity. I think this concept is already futuristic but there is a lot that there is yet to be implemented.

BMW is doing good things:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0142133EN/bmw-pininfarina-gran-lusso-coupé?language=en

meh.

I think the Kia Stinger is probably a better way to go.

Hot. Get rid of even more creases at the front and will be one elegant ride.

Kia Stinger? Seriously? It’s a Mondeo from 2007…

Wrong on both counts.

The Gran Lusso is by Pininfarina, it shows of course and that’s a matter of taste.
The only thing I would change are the lights, for the rest this is a masterpiece.
I love the blends and folding of the shells on the Z4, if they leave out the organic surfacing on the sides and air scoops they have something very strong for future lines. We are now working on a commercial vehicle that has some simple and strong lines with intersections and blackenings, more alike the Kia, while we’re mixing it with some sculptural lines - that in a quite conservative market.

Love it. It’s a BIG car, but has a great proportion and BMW character. Some shark nose to the grille, and (I’m biased tho) reminds me a bit of the stance and “flatness” of the E38.

This would make a great 7 series platform reboot to fight the A7 (one of my favorite cars on the road). Just add 2 more doors and call it done!

R

Kinda reminds me of another GM car: Buick Regal / Opel Insignia. Just simpler detailing and stretched.

Just unveiled, BMW’s answer to Tesla:

I dunno what’s going on with BMW these days… That i car is all kinds of terrible.

Latest X7 got a lot of bad press, but I actually really like it tho. The grille is huge, but I think it works on a XL SUV like this. Straight vertical lines is very Range Rover and there’s a lot of Volvo XC90 in it, but I enjoy the overall vibe and geometry to it.

R

I get a weird “an X5 had a baby with an Escalade” vibe from it. I love the X5. I think it is one of the few designs that has gotten better with each generation. This pig nose grille mixed with the architecturalness of the Escalade look gets a bit muddy for me. But maybe it will simplify for production. I like what they are doing with the tail lights in the last few concepts (they had to walk from those stepped tail lamps at some point). I think the right angled metal trim on the side is a bit gaudy, but gaudy cars are selling…

• Loved the Z4 concept.
  • The i Vision is horrendous. Nothing redeemable here. And I actually like the current i series.
  • At first glance I hated the X7 too, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I definitely see the Volvo XC90 gestural quality and Range Rover boxiness, both of which I think work well here. I just can’t get over the grill, though. It looks like a pig snout.

Their heritage is so minimal and visually light but now they’re moving to this crazy techno-luxury look at me form factor that just seems dishonest. The surfacing is really cool for sure, but I don’t think it’ll have much staying power. The i8 is already getting dated imo. I think that they’re losing their touch (with the exception of the z4). Which sucks because BMW has made some of my favorite cars.

The X7 front is OK. The side and rear 3/4 view are bugging me. It looks kinda '90’s Land Cruiser mixed with '90’s Grand Cherokee. I don’t think either of those cars should pop in my head when I look at a BMW.

I’m more interested in the Mini in the background. Unfortunately, it does little for me. And from what I have read about it’s intended specs, it’s going to be a dog. The only possible advantage is to have all-wheel on a 2-door hatch with a low center of gravity.