Interviewing and Confidentiality

Thank you all for your responses. Great information here, and I think Yo put it best by mentioning how portfolios have changed over time.

First and foremost, the companies aren’t competitors. Let’s say Company A (which I work for now) does business in a variety of sectors, one of which what Company B (I am applying to) primarily deals in, and those tend to be the projects that have been cancelled most frequently.

This is why I brought my question to you experts on the forums, I think my portfolio showcases my skills effectively (it did get me the interview.) I was worried about the potential for seeming like there was a lack of overall experience.

I think being more open with my manager would have been a pretty good place to start, but I’m a bit beyond that point in the process where asking might ruffle more feathers and raise more questions than worth it. I’d like to keep the status quo in that relationship, for now at least.

I’m leaning toward having sort of that public/private portfolio and not leave the private one behind.

The question about the NDA is pretty interesting. Sometimes a potential employer will have you sign an NDA before entering the building. Would you hiring managers find that strange? Annoying?