Nintendo Switch

i think the wii was really only magical to casual/non-gamers, and even then that magic was short lived…i remember having many conversations at the time about this around the time; i feel like most gamers were much more on the fence…for sure there was a curiosity about it but it never felt like there was a game/experience that really sold it for the majority of gamers or moved past novelty for casual/non-gamers…

isn’t this because many people love their catalog & games, but not so much their current hardware choices? the consoles do seem to be basically turning into pcs, but if you think about it this makes sense and would seem to not be good for an underpowered (in comparison) mobile system like nintendo’s for the simple reason that, as i understand it, the development studios that make the games tend to develop for one platform & port as much as possible to the other(s), which seems to be why everything is coalescing/converging around similar specs; it just makes it easier to make games across platforms. the makers of these games tend to poorly implement each of the console’s novel capabilities (both the sony move & microsoft kinect add-on functionality are not integral to gameplay) or ignore them altogether, which tends to level out unique experiences or at the very least doesn’t always optimize games for the capabilities of the different platforms…

i don’t really find the mobile aspect particularly compelling (as others have noted, some of the scenarios seem completely unrealistic), personally it seems to me that they have decided to opt out of competing with the console & pc platforms on specs and create their own lane but that is the rub, because that seems to be where things have been going for most of the demographic of people that actually play games…i guess if the price is right they could sell a bunch on the front end similar to the wii? though with each new generation, the hold of super mario, zelda, etc. has less influence and less familiar to people who didn’t experience them, like if you’re a kid asking for a console, why are you picking this over the competition? and if the games are not appreciably different or even worse the if nintendo’s game aren’t to the same level as the other platforms, is there a reason to own it alongside one of the other consoles, if you aren’t especially a mario/zelda fan?