Google's modular phone

I happen to be currently working on a modular project so here’s my 0.2$ worth-

1. For modularity to work, it needs a real consumer driver that balances out any alternatives. ie. WHY does the user need a modular thing? For specific functions? Personalization? Fit? Comfort? How are those balanced with available options, buying more than 1 thing?

2. A lot of modular concepts I’ve seen as Mike mentions above seem to be really design drives “because it would be neat/different/cool” and I don’t think the use case supports them. Often the need for modularity is greatly exaggerated.

3. The eco-system needs to support it. How do you see the options? Try them? Buy them? Are they in stock? What’s the lifetime support of the parts?
    Does it make business sense at retail? I’ve seen a lot of modular concepts fail here because a bricks and mortar retailer doesn’t want to stock 100 bits, or options are only online and you can’t feel/touch/try them or buy them when you need them. A modular concept has to work more than in theory, it has to deliver the right experience from a consumer/retail POV as well. It doesn’t help if I need a specific part for my modular thing and I have to order it online, wait 2 weeks, and pay shipping, only to discover I don’t like it when I get it.

4. Do the benefits outweigh any downsides? I’ve seen lots of modular concepts sink because the inherit downsides (managing/losing bits, hard to change, etc.) are not done well. I saw a shoe (was in actual production 20+ years ago, not just a concept) once with modular heel cushioning unit, butA)You needed a plastic tool to change the heel unit B)I cut my hand open with said tool trying it C)It cost more than the simple alternative of buying 2 pairs of shoes.

That said, I think it the above are addressed and the modularity is central to the reason for being (not just a trick), it can be successful. Anyone remember the Nokia phones with the XPRESSON (?) covers?

R

PS. My final school project 16+ years ago was at one point to be a modular phone.