Microsoft Surface Book vs Surface Pro 4 for sketching and SW

Since it looks like services-spam had the last word, I’ll pipe in again about my Surface Book.

All good so far - We’re coming up on 10 months of constant use (studio use, work travel use, personal use) and MS looks to have tackled all the strange things that popped up (as I expected they would - I don’t get pissed off at stuff like that, in-use development is a reality now).

Nothing I’ve used has bogged it down (granted it’s the top spec’d version, so it shouldn’t bog down). Over the last few moths, some updates screwed up the hot-docking capability (I use the Surface dock connected to stuff) and one update screwed up the pointer tracking but subsequent updates fixed everything. She’s humming along nicely, and I like being able to undock quickly to go sketch & do admin work on the couch or outside.

I’d say my only dislike is the way the screen goes from laptop screen to sketching tablet - I liked the old Toshiba Tecra flip-around screens, nothing had to be disconnected and reconnected like this one has to.

Here are some awesome apps I’ve found for stylus input;
Drawboard PDF - this IS the admin boss - you know how the idea of annotating PDFs with writing, drawing, marking up is a great idea but used to take three or four steps to do it?, not anymore…I quickly open PDFs, sign them, add sketch directions, annotate engineering drawings, etc and resave the doc…
Leonardo - I’ve been using this instead of SBP and I have to say, it’s awesome. I get errant marks with SBP because of the pen tech fighting with single finger touch (didn’t happen with Wacom, of course) so I had to start wearing a glove on my sketching hand but Leonardo lets you deactivate single touch so only the pen and multi-finger touch are active - it’s solved a big frustration that I kept having with SBP.