My new portfolio website - please have a look around!

Hello Max,

I really like the simplicity of the website layout, which lets the projects take center stage. The real downside of this layout is I can’t see an overview/preview of your projects, but have to click through all of them to see what they are. If you’re sending your site to employers (for internship, etc), I believe most of them would want to get to your work right away, and this layout makes them work hard to get a sense of who you are quickly. I would also recommend changing out the animal drawing on the first page to perhaps a sketch of a product if you want it still be a drawing. It’s more appropriate for a fineart/illustration portfolio.

I enjoyed all your woodworking projects - maple seed tongs, five board stool, drafting table. They have beautiful forms and are well made. Some thoughts - I’m not sure the maple seed project can be called tongs since they are not joined at one end, more like salad servers/spoons. For the drafting table you mentioned it is collapsible, so I think you should have an image of it collapsed, since someone skimming would not read that detail. You also described how it collapses, but a short video/gif would help to illustrate that point quickly without the reader having to imagine and have questions. The final watering form is also a beautiful project. I think if you did a series of rendering with different colorways and materials, that could add to the project. I also think you could clean up and condense the sketches all into 2 pages, instead of just putting up uneditted scans.

One project I had quite some trouble with is project swish. Watching the video, I get that the idea is a fun thrash receptacle that is like a basketball hoop, but also only after 20s do I see what it is for. But just a glance at the project page I couldn’t get that right away, and it shouldn’t be so. The cover image could simply be someone throwing something at it. The process images were also confusing - what are those blocks in the layout?

These are all me looking for potential improvements as I’m looking through your website…hope these nitpickings are not unsolicited.

Keep at it!

Ying