Co Working spaces Yay or Nay ?

For your observations…

I have a space at this place:

It definitely falls more on the makerspace on steroids than a co-working space. Though I think a bit of co-working space’s dna are from makerspaces and clearly there are overlaps. Artisan’s has multi-purpose rooms, computer cluster with some high-end software, social space, kitchen, in addition to ‘labs’ and shop spaces.

I use it more as my workshop to get personal, hopefully one day, million dollar, world changing, projects done.

Skipping new comments and descriptions at the moment, to reply to somethings mentioned already.

Music: There’s no global music. Folks can play stuff in their spaces (if you have one) but you have to be respectful of your neighbors, I believe to the point that if it bugs me and I tell you I want it off, it has to be turned off (or switch to headphones.)

I joined for many reasons, one was to be around other creative folks. Though I have meet a few people, I haven’t meet as many as I feel I should. This is completely my fault. I suck at networking and most of the time I’m there, I’m there to work on a project so I basically have blinders on and time scheduled on equipment. Got to get things done!!!

Don’t think there’s a hierarchy, but groups of members that:
-Run the place - various volunteers, paid employees and those that help in operations to one degree or another. All of these folks also are creating something when not ‘working’.
-Are there to get a something done: start-ups, kickstarter, crafts-people and such that need a space and the equipment that’s available (when it’s working. I’m looking at you laser cutter). They do their thing and that’s about it
-Are members of scul the local ‘friendly biker gang’.
-Want to be in a creative space doing what seem like random creative projects.

The main tension that I see and hear about, rotates around how the place is being run, how things are abused, and ‘it’s not like the good old days…’

-Peter