Computer Case

Working alone on a project makes me really question the choices I’m taking. So I really appreciate taking the time for the feedback.

Yo:

To answer your question, yes the radii are concentric between the pipes and the edge. That was actually one of the problems with the first all black concept I showed.

I’m unsure if I want to make the top plate part of the plastic outer shell or keep it separate as shown in the model. I want the outer shell to feel as a bit more of a sculpted part than simply an extrusion.

I’ll really need to hone the top plate layout. I really want to make sure I explore it properly, as you mentioned, 15 or so iterations. It’ll become almost a graphic design problem as it’s mostly 2D and all about composition.

As for colours, my plan was to build a colour pallet with a mix of neutral and flamboyant colours and leave it to the customer to mix and match. I really like the mix of matte textured plastic and powder coat.

Thanks for putting together those drawings :slight_smile: . Having the tubes on the outside could be taken even further by thinking of it as an exoskeleton with the guts in the middle. Part of my rationale for the tubes was to have them act as a frame for the internals. On the inside, flat panels would be bolted in between the tubes and act as a mounting surface for the internals. That would make the installation easy as there wouldn’t be much in the way. It also keeps the part count and overall volume down.

I like having the top plate flush with the top of the computer. I had initially made the plastic part come over the top plate to act as a bit of protection for the buttons when traveling. Also, when moving my computer around say from my desk to my living room TV, I find I don’t have a good place to put my peripherals like my mouse - maybe that lip could act as a little receptacle when moving things around. Having the buttons flush with the top plate would allow for the cleaner look and remove the lip. I’ll give that a shot!

KenoLeon:

1. I’ve never seen a Mac G4 Cube in the flesh. Reaching for the cables on the back of most computers still isn’t that easy. I could see the G4 Cube having the added problem that it’s very easy to scratch so you may not want to lie it on its side. I’m planning on having some ports on top so you don’t need to tilt the machine for the commonly used USB and headphone jacks.

2. I do plan on using the tubes as the frame for the device. I’m not sure I totally understand your idea or how you’d implement it. I guess you’re thinking of a plastic shroud section at the bottom of the device that could slide in and out? I’m hoping the tubes look good enough for there not to be a need for a cover.

3. Hopefully it doesn’t need to be thrown out - though the handles would really help getting it through a window :wink: . My current design is somewhat modular. Making it possible to replace individual components or updating the internal layout for use with new component standards. Though it could make for a cool subwoofer though.

Hopefully I can share some more developments soon. In the last little while, I’ve just been looking at the internal configuration of the computer to get a final envelope to use so I don’t have much to share there. I’ve also been looking at references for proportions and graphic design grids for laying out the top panel. Any suggestions for some good reads on those topics?