what's in an experienced designer's portfolio? School me??

If you have 8 years of experience, I would expect to see a lot more finished products, with less process. Final product photography and beauty shots are important, along with a clear story outlining your role, your key contributions, and what problems this product solved in the competitive landscape.

Usually with professional work, you may be limited on the conceptual development you can publicly post. Many times sketches will show other ideas which may contain potentially valuable IP which you do not want to share. If that is not the case, then feel free to post at least 1-2 of the best examples of your process. Once I see one set of good sketches I’ll trust that with 8 years of experience you can sketch enough to hold down a job, and if I want to see more I’ll ask to see that during an in person interview.

Frankly I would spend less time on physical/print portfolio’s these days. I’m going to spend time looking at your digital portfolio before I ever call you in for a phone call or interview, and if you don’t have the chops displayed there you wouldn’t even make it in the door. Once you’re in the door I’m going to care more about your project management, engineering leadership, and decision making process as a Sr++ designer than I do about your ability to shave foam or do marker renderings.