Computer Case

Cool Project, I’ve wanted to do something similar for a while. Definitely the new consoles like the Xbox One S and recent 1st party peripherals prove that not all gamers want the over the top Optimus Prime look nor is that look necessary to succeed. You probably already know this, but Lian-Li has carved out a nice niche for themselves doing inoffensive minimal cases, but they still lack that extra level of industrial design polish and emotion.

Thanks for these. It seems like the industry is finally getting out of it’s collective Apple hard-on and developing some unique design languages. I’ve been really liking the direction of HP’s Spectre lineup.

The computer/speaker combo is really neat. I’d be curious to see how much influence Bang and Olufsen had on the design. It could make a great HTPC or NAS PC.

I’m not too sure about this Modular PC though. Price and size wise, it seems to get beat out by offerings like Intel’s NUC line. I’m not sure how much interest there is for the type of modules they have announced, especially in the business space.

As far as molecularity is concerned, I think USB-C with Thunderbolt (essentially PCI-e) will be the game changer. We’ve already seen a few devices like the Surface Book and the Razer Blade Stealth have external GPU units. As computationally heavy tasks are being done more and more by GPUs, I think it will make a lot of sense for people to have a small and portable tablet like device as their core unit and connect to a hub at their desk. This hub could have a powerful GPU, large backup or mass storage hard drive, connection to high speed network, and all their peripherals.

It’s really nice to see gaming hardware manufacturers accept that gaming has a wide user base. Conventional wisdom is that gaming is very much a boy thing even though studies have been showing that around 45% of console and PC gamers are actually women. However, much fewer women identify as “gamer”. The average age of gamers is also 31 y/o. While I think a lot of people enjoy the over the top aesthetics as part of the experience, especially in competitive realms, there seems to be a disconnect between the users and the available hardware.

As far as the PC is concerned, it seems like gaming and workstation machines are becoming one and the same. To that end, it seems like a lot of the workstation users are basically stuck using gaming oriented hardware just based on availability.

I’ve noticed Lian-Li and other manufacturers seem to be exploring different avenues in terms of style to a varying degree of success. What seems to be at the core of the issue is that there seems to be only a few actual case manufacturers. All of those large players are heavily invested in sheet metal stamping and pressing operations. With that in mind, it seems like the manufacturing process is driving the design much more than actual design intent.

I’m glad I’ve finally settled on a form but I couldn’t resist doubting it…

One thing I was wondering is the practicality and use of those bottom pipe. There’s a familiarity to them but the angle in them keeps them from being retractable. If part of the appeal of this case is portability, it seems a bit odd to have those big pipes sticking out the bottom.

So I had a look at different ideas for ways to lift the bottom of the case yet be retractable. I ended up not too far from where I started :laughing: just making the pipes straight would allow them to be retractable or removable. Having right angles would also allow the case to be laid on its side. Much more practical!

I made a quick mock-up render. I feel the case is lacking a bit of personality at this point… With that said, it seems the simpler a design is, the more crucial each choice becomes. There’s still a lot of work to be done, especially on the top portion to make it right. But I’m unsure a purely geometric approach is the solution. I’ll try both getting a solid geometric layout as well as breaking the extruded form into something a little bit more organic. I’ll keep you posted!

I think it is going in the right direction. Is the radius of the outer edge of the cabinet concentric with the radius of the bent tube? If not definitely do that. I think you should take the top view and do 15 different perf/button iterations. Also, think about making the tubes an unexpected color and then matching the buttons. Those are my initial thoughts.

Here is an alternate construction for you. I sketched it up real quick, happy to send you the vector file if it helps.

So my iteration is to have the bent tubes go all the way up to the top plate. The top plate could be a thick piece of billet aluminum. add threaded inserts in the tubes and have exposed hex fasteners counter sunk in. to the top plate. Machine out the offset perf, celebrate the buttons a bit more, and give it a name which you could etch in to diet vinyl letter. Then moon the actual CPU case to the underside of the top plate, letting it suspend downward. The bottom could be open or pared metal for ventilation.

The top view got messed up when I scaled it, should be more like this.

[ Deleted ]

I realized I messed up the side view… fixing it lead to another iteration. Solid aluminum top panel that is clear anodized. Generous radii in the top view concentric with bent powder coated legs. Maybe I’ll render it tomorrow.

Working alone on a project makes me really question the choices I’m taking. So I really appreciate taking the time for the feedback.

Yo:

To answer your question, yes the radii are concentric between the pipes and the edge. That was actually one of the problems with the first all black concept I showed.

I’m unsure if I want to make the top plate part of the plastic outer shell or keep it separate as shown in the model. I want the outer shell to feel as a bit more of a sculpted part than simply an extrusion.

I’ll really need to hone the top plate layout. I really want to make sure I explore it properly, as you mentioned, 15 or so iterations. It’ll become almost a graphic design problem as it’s mostly 2D and all about composition.

As for colours, my plan was to build a colour pallet with a mix of neutral and flamboyant colours and leave it to the customer to mix and match. I really like the mix of matte textured plastic and powder coat.

Thanks for putting together those drawings :slight_smile: . Having the tubes on the outside could be taken even further by thinking of it as an exoskeleton with the guts in the middle. Part of my rationale for the tubes was to have them act as a frame for the internals. On the inside, flat panels would be bolted in between the tubes and act as a mounting surface for the internals. That would make the installation easy as there wouldn’t be much in the way. It also keeps the part count and overall volume down.

I like having the top plate flush with the top of the computer. I had initially made the plastic part come over the top plate to act as a bit of protection for the buttons when traveling. Also, when moving my computer around say from my desk to my living room TV, I find I don’t have a good place to put my peripherals like my mouse - maybe that lip could act as a little receptacle when moving things around. Having the buttons flush with the top plate would allow for the cleaner look and remove the lip. I’ll give that a shot!

KenoLeon:

1. I’ve never seen a Mac G4 Cube in the flesh. Reaching for the cables on the back of most computers still isn’t that easy. I could see the G4 Cube having the added problem that it’s very easy to scratch so you may not want to lie it on its side. I’m planning on having some ports on top so you don’t need to tilt the machine for the commonly used USB and headphone jacks.

2. I do plan on using the tubes as the frame for the device. I’m not sure I totally understand your idea or how you’d implement it. I guess you’re thinking of a plastic shroud section at the bottom of the device that could slide in and out? I’m hoping the tubes look good enough for there not to be a need for a cover.

3. Hopefully it doesn’t need to be thrown out - though the handles would really help getting it through a window :wink: . My current design is somewhat modular. Making it possible to replace individual components or updating the internal layout for use with new component standards. Though it could make for a cool subwoofer though.

Hopefully I can share some more developments soon. In the last little while, I’ve just been looking at the internal configuration of the computer to get a final envelope to use so I don’t have much to share there. I’ve also been looking at references for proportions and graphic design grids for laying out the top panel. Any suggestions for some good reads on those topics?

[ Deleted ]

Sliding is a fun option, especially if there was a central quick release.

Alright, I’ve managed to go through some IO panel designs. Quite a few crazier ideas didn’t make the final cut shown in the following picture. Based on the internal layout of the machine, the fan will need to be offset. For that reason, most of the designs that looked good started by breaking the rectangular top into a square for vents and have a slim rectangle on the side for IO.

For the button, I’m considering a fairly large single round button. It doesn’t seem like the reset button is used anymore on computers. A long press of the power button does the job. I’m also considering a sliding switch(think iOS setting sliding switch). Usually sliding switches are used as toggles, either set one way or another, to denote a setting selection. However, it could be an interesting gesture as a momentary switch. So you’d slide it over and by bringing it to the end of its throw and then it would spring back as you release it.

Most of the designs are quite self-explanatory: vent holes, power button, USB ports and audio IO. For #7 I was considering putting cloth grill over the fan. Though that may tie the design to black as a cloth any other colour would dirty very quickly. Concept #1 was considering some bolts to hold the panel onto the frame. I let those out afterwards as I think I’d favour having the lip of the plastic section push down on the panel and have no visible fasteners.

I’m personally really digging #8 and it seems to suit the rest of the case quite nicely. Having two distinct sections is reminiscent of the case a whole - the open legs and the solid top section. The vents are a bit more subtle in their function that the other designs and could possibly allow for more mounting options like different fan sizes and even moving the fan to fit different components. The IO is well aerated and the blank space between the ports and the button could be used for branding.

The actual size of the vent holes will need to be worked on I think their too small right now.

I think 5 and 8 are working best. Try an island within the perf as well.

Great thought process here!

Great work Louis! #5 is by far my favorite, followed by #2 and #8. The latter two being very Dieter Rams.

As you mentioned, the size of the holes/slots will be very important. To ‘transparent’, seeing too much of the inside, will likely not add the visual perception of the computer case. I’d advise you to test a couple of options once you get to the prototype phase. Looking forward to your next post!

Hmm, that would be cool. The sliding I was thinking of was just to retract the bottom pipes. Having handles reveal themselves would be cool. A really nice mechanism would make this really fun to use.

My use case right now is that you tilt the computer down to unplug the cabling. From there, it’s quite easy to lift it from the handles that are usually at the bottom.

Thanks for taking the time to sketch! :smiley:

Something kind of like this?

It seems like a fairly tight perforated pattern throughout the top is a winner, I’ll have a look at what else I could do in that direction…

Thank you, kind sir! :slight_smile:

I actually started off in a very Dieter Rams direction with #3 and #6. Going with the non-offset perforations to act as a geometric feature rather than a uniform backdrop. Sort of like this sucker:

I actually tried the typical offset hole grid which provides more airflow but it wasn’t doing much as far as styling goes.

Agreed as far as hole sizing. Seeing too much of the insides will wreck the look. I think thickness of the top plate will be one of the driving factors. A thicker plate will hide the inside at more viewing angles.

Louis, that is a good example of what I’m talking about. Older MacBooks did this a lot as well as their older towers.

Very nice read! I’d love to see a compact desktop PC with as few compromises as posible. But I have a few questions; could dust be an issue involving your design?
Have you considered liquid cooling? And lastly, a desktop pc includes many other peripherals that impact portability, what could be done for that? Im very curious to see where this project is going.

Best of luck!

Dust may be an issue. My plan for that is to have the air intake be at the bottom and use magnetic meshing to act as an air filter so it’s easy to take out and clean.

I haven’t really considered liquid cooling as a primary concern. Due to the size of the system, some sacrifices are required in the choice of components. For one, full sized graphics cards will not be compatible. I think an all in one 120mm liquid cooler will fit though.

Portability is a bit of a tough one. There’s a pretty big range of use cases. Anywhere from people that need to move their computer often in their home or office, people that occasionally need to bring their computer with them (mobile workers, LAN parties) all the way to people that are constantly traveling and need the power of a desktop (A/V production, location based trades…). I’m aiming the first two categories. People that want a clean looking desktop that facilitates mobility.

When moving around my small ITX system, I’ve came across two major issues I hope to have solved with my current design. As you mentioned, moving the peripherals is a pain. I find myself putting my wireless keyboard and mouse on top of the case but it’s flat and smooth so then end up sliding off to the floor… That’s the reason for the lip up top, you can put your mouse and other knick knacks in that pocket if you’re just moving from room to room. I also, found the back end of the system with all of the IO has a lot of exposed fragile parts like dongles, wifi antenas and just little cutouts and ports. The pipes at the bottom naturally cover up that fragile part. Also, once you put the computer in a bag, it creates a zone that’s safe from crushing to put other peripherals.

Alright, things are starting to gel!

Michael, I’m having a look at that island design, it seems like making everything fairly tight and putting it on an edge may look ok. I still don’t have something clean enough though.

I started looking at a colour palette. The more I’ve been working on this design, the more I’ve been liking the idea of having it available in a variety of colour combinations including some really bright ones to contrast the subdued design. I’ve really been feeling the salmon pink Nike has been using recently. I have to admit I have a soft spot for sea foam greens, but I’ve also taken it from some of the Ikea reference I’ve had since the beginning. Hey there also complimentary colours so that’s cool :laughing: I also had a nice blue with a slight purple tint but it just didn’t seem to fit anywhere, so it didn’t make the cut.

I used coolors.co to help me in finding the colours. It’s a really great tool I thought I’d share. It’s a well thought out tool that allows for quick exploration as well as honing done of hues.

Anyhow, on to the exciting stuff! Here’s my first go at some renders. At some point it seems there’s only so much you can do with a lifeless 3D model and need some renders or ideally some physical prototypes. It certainly has given me a second breath on this project as far as motivation too.

I tried colours on the plastic part and it really gets a Fisher Price look, I’ll keep at it but may be in vain. The white version looks pretty lifeless, I’ll see what can be done about it, maybe swapping out the white painted part for anodized…

More to come, I was just really excited to share these images :smiley:

That is coming together nicely!