No headphone jack on the iPhone 7... really?

Not the first time Apple is early on the peripheral removal game but I think they’re too early this time around. I’m too young to remember the floopies coming out of Macs. But the Air removed the optical drive but was one of many laptops available from Apple and the trade-off in size was obvious. The optical drive later came off the rest of the line but was met with little resistance as it was expected and very rarely used. The external optical drive was fairly practical for those that need it as you rarely use optical drives on the go anyways…

The removal of user replaceable batteries, Ethernet port and so on was met with little resistance as they were truly on their way out.

It seems lately Apple has been stagnating on true innovation and making questionable design choice mostly on style, one-up-manship and frankly delusions of grandeur.

Having a single port on the Macbook is silly. Other manufacturers have managed to match the size and integrate a decent selection of ports.

Hiding the charging port under the mouse is silly. It’s happen several times I’ve needed to use my wireless mouse and I’m glad the port is out front and the cable used is the same as my phone so I always have one in my bag.

Now this latest iPhone. I think the removal of the 3.5mm plug is a bad move. Sure lots of users will learn to live without it. But we did live without smartphones at one point too… :laughing: Contrarily to the other ports Apple removed prior to this one, they were certainly on their way out. Also, their use, on computers was mostly done in stationary conditions, not on the go like a phone. The 3.5mm plug was one of the few truly universal standard. Just recently has there been alternatives, other wise every headphone with a cable uses 3.5mm.

The 3.5mm jack just freakin’ works. Bluetooth always has a delay making it annoying when watching video and unusable for music creation or gaming. It’s always a crap-shoot when switching connected devices weather everything will get recognized and paired properly. Especially in ear bud format, the battery life will never be great.

What was truly gained by removing the jack? Apparently interference with the camera module and water resistance. I personally don’t care about the water proof aspect but it seems odd Samsung managed to do it with a headphone jack. Why not make the overall envelope slightly larger if you really need to add hardware?

If they really had courage, why not go with a USB-C port? Their Macbook is now using it and most Android manufacturers are switching to it. I think it has the potential to become a very universal standard, in the way the 3.5mm was.