Working environment chaos

I am disabled and use speech recognition. I have been verbally assaulted multiple times because my speech is heard for 3-4 seats around. I have lost jobs because “work style is too disruptive”. speech recognition systems are confused by background music. reasonable accommodation has been refused because acoustically isolated space “would send the wrong message” or “is not a good fit with company culture”.

Almost all forms of disability are either visually or acoustically disruptive in an open work space. I believe the problem is not open offices but a general discomfort with disability.

Most designs I see here at core 77 are hostile to one or more types of disabilities. I can’t tell if it is from ignorance, indifference or arrogance. hint, give your designs to the elderly and young children, if they can’t figure it out without explaining, toss the design and start over.

P.S. “I also find it a little unnerving to have someone watching over my shoulder as I work,”

while my hands a mess, my eyes are good enough I can read most screens at 10-15 feet and ears are good enough I can follow most conversations at about the same distance. I’ve learned way too much about co-workers that way.