Director level job – Solidworks test at interview?

Thank you one and all.

When I spoke to these people I noted that two bosses I had showed no evidence of being able to draw let alone use CAD. I am not a philosopher. I subscribe to the theory that those who cannot do teach. In my conversation with them I noted that my career was linear and all of the information on my resume and items in my portfolio were mine and easily verifiable in Google patents.

I asked them if there was anything they’d like me to bring or send in the interim and that was their opportunity to ask me to bring – but not leave – Solidworks files. An opportunity to look at a file with me there of an item with a patent with my name on it that’s in the marketplace right now.
I pointed out to them that my references included three people who in one case I’ve known for nearly 30 years. All have used or purchased my files since the late 90’s.

There is no misrepresentation of any kind in my resume or work.

Due to the travel schedule, I had two short night’s sleep beforehand and it was 5AM my time when they dropped the test on me. I gave them as diplomatic a response as possible and instantly knew this was not the place for me so the conversation that ensued was unfiltered. I let it be known that if I was advised of this skills test beforehand I would not be there.

Anyone who would succumb to this could not effectively deal with their vendors which to me would require a sense of self and holding your ground.

They have lost 40% of their department since May according to LinkedIn.

Due to a maintenance issue on a return flight the entire experience took 58 hours door to door.