Gmay3's Sketching Journey

This weekend I did some research through pro audio blogs to see what a Musician and Audio Producer user would want out of a portable bluetooth speaker.

A little background: I started studying and learning design in 2013 but before that I spent a lot of my free time in college composing music and doing the audio production that goes into making a mixed and mastered track. I started thinking about this stereo bluetooth speaker idea after seeing all the time I spent carefully mixing individual instrument tracks across the stereo space go to waste on a portable bluetooth speaker with two speakers that were only 4 inches apart. Because of this, the sound that hits you ears is essentially monophonic and producers even use these bluetooth speakers to check their mono mixes. :slight_smile:

Here is the ideal stereo speaker setup from a top view which maximizes the stereo space, instrument clarity, and immersion while listening to a track.

With this target user in mind, I created a list of features from the research I did to help shape this concept going forward.

Portable Stereo Sound (two seperate speakers with the ability to attach together)
Aux input
Analog sound knob - tactile buttons
Control of the track (play/pause/rewind/ff/next song/previous song)
Flat EQ response (most bluetooth speakers are overly bassy)
Speaker stays in place on the table at full volume
Prioritize sound quality - it’s ok if the product is a little larger and heavier than typical bluetooth speakers (musicians are used to hauling around really heavy gear because it sounds better)
Incorporate natural materials where possible

I did some sketches and overlays to incorporate more tactile controls into the latest form concept. I also sketched a quick scene showing the scale and how they would be used in stereo mode.

1 Like