Fusion 360/SubD Modeling is NOT Sculpting...

@ralphzoontjens: In this we would have to disagree, I can definitely say that learning how use these different tools can only help your skills set. I look at software as different tools and there is no one tool that covers it all. Rightfully so because it’d be boring if one software tried to be everything…that would fail so hard. I do conceed that being in a specific industry might not warrant the use of a specific style of modeling but there are definitely some capabilities in SubD modeling that NURBS aren’t build for and vice versa.

Class A surfacing is really one of those topics that has quite a bit of subjectivity around and about it. That said, IMO, it really comes down to a surfaces transitions and curvature continuity. I’m oversimplifying the explanation but I think you get the point.

@MK19: I do agree that most CAD packages have not called it sculpting but do refer to it as you mentioned, free form…etc. Which is why it’s probably that much more perplexing that Fusion 360 would call it sculpting.

I think that is almost a topic for another thread but the methods used in SubD and T-Splines aren’t all that different. What you get from a modeling standpoint in zBrush/Mudbox/3D Coat is really something much closer to digital clay. You could use a wacom style tablet with pressure sensitivity with zBrush or Modo to sculpt. Some do have a hybrid approach, Modo, for instance have both SubD and Sculpting.