How To Get That Edge Over Your Classroom Competitors

Some interesting commentary going on in here. Makes me think back to a design critique in college where I overheard one classmate ask another, “Are you trying to make us look bad?”

The person who was asked this looked totally bewildered since you could tell he was only motivated by passion/interest not by wanting to “one-up” someone.

I will admit there were times in school, especially after a rough critique that I thought to myself “You wait, next critique I’m coming back with a vengeance!” :smiling_imp:

Usually after getting some sleep and eating a burrito, my motivation would shift back to the joy of learning and improving, being able to say that I could see growth in my skills and abilities. Of course everyone is wired differently.

Jimmy, I think what might be throwing some people off is the clickbait-ish video title because it almost seems to suggest that the true satisfaction will come when you can claim to have that “edge” over others. Watching the video (which, to be honest, is a little generic in it’s advice) I realize your intent is for students to just get better, and that embracing a healthy amount of competitiveness is good (which I agree).

I wonder though if there is a better motivator? Something that’s more sustaining and could keep designers motivated even if they work in isolation?

Thanks for posting though, great discussion it’s generated and will be following your channel.