How To Get That Edge Over Your Classroom Competitors

When i was a adjunct i found many students poorly prepared to enter the “business” of design - no slight on the level of educators but some had been out of the work field for a long time or only had academic experience although they were and are very talented designers.

As a professor it ones job to help grow and prepare the students to enter the field in a somewhat protected and nurturing environment and to encourage not discourage. But applying real world expectations and criteria is important and they should be more enforced vi progression form 1st year to the 4th year.

I was amazed when I would have students not have work completed on the due date and the excuse would be “so and so teacher always gives us extensions so we figured you would” and they were not too happy to be informed

1. They are automatically deducted 20%
  2. It is a insult to give them a extension when other completed the work on time
  3. IN real world this would happen once or twice and then they would be let go
  4. The fact none of them provided a heads up or reason that the work would be late was unacceptable.

Their response “that’s unfair” my response “did you not read the syllabus” – there are many more real world expectations that I taught as well and some students didn’t like it but grew to appreciate them (even to the point where they would thank me years later) and some thought I was simply a prick……