How To Get That Edge Over Your Classroom Competitors

But he’s not a manager, he’s a professor. And I think theres a major difference.

In my opinion, outside of keeping scholarships. Grades mean nothing in design school. I’m not even sure my actual degree matters. Sure this matters in some majors, but in a profession where portfolio rules, very few care what your GPA in college was. (Sure theres gonna be someone that points out the exception, I work at a major cooperation with strict hiring practices. But I would wager portfolio trumps all in the end.)

You could argue if you have the 5 throw-aways, your top 20 may be better. But then again, maybe you should just concentrate on making a great 20.

Exactly. This was his way of saying do more than you’re asked. Grades were always done on what your presented. For those who did more, it showed. We were always taught that your first 5-20 ideas sucked, they were the expected solutions. So get those out of the way so you could get to the creative stuff. I think this is very true as a student, where your not only learning how to easily communicate your ideas, but learning the process in generating those ideas to begin with.

For students if you can do 20 great concepts right out of the gate, then your golden. But I don’t think it works like that for the majority.

Theres also the train of thought that if your counting the sketches to get the project done in college, then your gonna have problems down the line. You should sit down, and just sketch to solve the problem, maybe that takes you 30-40. If you love this, you shouldn’t really be “counting” in college. You don’t have scoped time to devote in college.