Computer Case

Alright, I’m back :laughing:

It’s been a while and I’ll admit I’m getting a bit fed up with the project dragging on. On the flip side, I did learn a lot of things. Taking my time on this project has allowed me to really explore solutions and directions very far away from my initial thoughts. I tend to clench onto my first ideas so it’s really nice to have a project where I’m letting things simmer and digging deeper to actually finding better solutions.

I also realized I wasn’t using my time properly. I know that my sketching skills are lacking so I was putting way too much effort in the sketch quality rather than moving the whole project forward. I’m now at peace with showing lack luster sketches online and keeping the sketching practice separate.

So back on the case. The issue I was mentioning last time was with the location of the IO port and keeping the cables tidy. My initial solution at the time was just to adapt the direction I was already taking. However, after putting things back into perspective, I’ve came up with a new and quite different direction that still follows my initial brief.

The concept revolves around a bent tubing frame with a plastic shell that slides on top. I flipped the computer entirely. The cables and IO would now be at the bottom of the case. Automatically hiding the clutter. The bent frame can act as a pivot when tilting the computer to access the IO. It can also be used as a handle when moving the computer around.

The large plastic shell has a bit of an Eames chair feel to it which I like as it makes it feel like a more home product than strictly cold electronics.

I also threw together a quick draft 3D model together to get a feel for proportions. There’s obviously still a lot to work required there.

This is where I stand. I’m not sure what to do at this point. I have two very different directions that seem to have merit but I need to pick one. :confused: I’m leaning towards this latest concept at the moment because it has a distinguishing look and feel and would have the potential to be very cost effective.

You guys have also been quiet for the last little while :wink: . I’d really like to hear you out at this point more than any other on your thoughts about the directions I’m looking at and the project in general.