How To Get That Edge Over Your Classroom Competitors

The title of the video is mis leading,

“do you want to compete against your classmates and GROW”

This can be good or bad, I remember the year ahead of ours they didn’t talk with each other everything was secretive, they constantly covered their work and usually wouldn’t work in the studio if another class mate was there or ever offer help. (and our professors pointed this out as well.

Our Class saw this and thought it was a pretty empty way to be a class. We had a wide range of abilities and we competed with each other in the sense that we strive to achieve the level of those who where better in the various skill sets. Even during student competitions (which was where the class above us showed some ugly behavior) I remember working on a sketch and have the “sketch God” in hour class see that i was struggling, he came over offered me some tips and then showed me execution techniques. In turn i also probably tutored half the class in CAD throughout our 4 years. In the end we graduate as one of the strongest class the school had seen in a long long time.

Healthy competition to push your self to strive to be better is great and if it isn’t promoted in the class room then it carries over afterwards which does not create a healthy design dept. anywhere (which i have seen as well)