UPDATED: vintage concept sketches

a couple of oldies from frog. Original sketches for the Yamaha FZ750 Rana

image001 2.jpg

Check out this beautiful concept sketch I came across from 1938 for Cadillac. The signature says G. Lawson but I wasn’t able to find out anything else about it.

I think this is the right place to ask this question:

I once heard that markers were invented as an easier replacement for water color in design sketches. If this is true, when did this switch occur? I was just trying to figure out how those Loewy sketches on page 12 of this thread were made. Looks like graphite pencil, water color with a wide brush, and maybe prismacolor?

Magic Marker, pastel, Prismacolor pencil, white gouache, needed eraser. Magic Marker’s were invented in the 50’s. I remember getting high from the fumes when I used them a lot for a rendering.

Yes! Those are awesome. They were already illegal when I was in school but if you could score a set with the refill fluids you were golden!

Galina Balashova’s sketches from the Soviet space race programme:

Read more here: The Soviet Architect Who Drafted the Space Race

Concept by Brooks Stevens i think 1964.
hqdefault.jpg

The-Evinrude-Fishing-Saucer-concept-boat-designed-by-Brooks-Stevens-and-made-for-the-1957-New-York-Boat-Show-found-on-1.jpg

one more.
images.jpg

fun stuff!

Those Galina Balashova skecthes are awesome.

The media for the Buran (Soviet Space Shuttle) - pencil and tracing paper?
Snark aside, those Soyuz cutaway watercolors are lovely.

some 80’s goodness.

Great article on Paul Bracq, the Fench designer behind some of the best BMW’s and Mercedes of the 60’s and 70’s: The story of Paul Bracq, the father of BMW's modern design

1600 Drawing.jpg

I seem to only drive cars by Bracq. E28 is just sold but still got the W115 Benz. Wonder what the newest car he designed is…?

R

LOL, I thought you would dig this one Richard. Did you watch the video as well? Yes, I wonder if he did anything in the 90’s or 2000’s?

Mining back through here looking for images to support a talk I’m giving, such a great treasure trove.

I never thought a Chevy Beretta could look so cool. This is a good one to show the kids how ugly products get made. A sick render goes a long way to selling anything.

But when you think of Chevy’s of the time, that was the cream of the crop!

Harry Bentley Bradley from 1968

The economy of linework and gesture in the last four sketches is wonderful…so evocative of the stance and personality. Adding some foliage and a bikini - will remember that tactic for the future…