Yo: sketch videos

No replies on that last one. Are you guys digging these, or too obvious? I made another today.

Sketching a wheel can make or break your car sketch. In this video I explain the way I simply indicate a 5 spoke wheel. Whether you love to draw cars or not, this is a great practice exercise for two of reasons: First, you need to practice eclipses. Second, you practice the simple act of iterating on a known object. Taking something simple and defined like a five spoke wheel and quickly giving it a unique twist is a great mental exercise. As you go through this video I want you to notice how much contrast I’m giving this sketch through both line weight and choice of drawing tool. It can be scary to add this much contrast to your sketch. I remember when the fear of messing up a sketch held me back from adding this much contrast. Try to remember that the worst that can happen is you screw it up and you have to put a clean sheet of paper over top and start over. It’s no biggie, I screw up all the time. One think that helps to force me to add this much contrast is to switch drawing tools. Note I switch from the Papermate Flair pen to the Sharpie. This forces me to go bold, and the sketch is better for it. Try switching drawing tools like that in your sketches, no matter what the subject is.