Yo: sketch videos

I haven’t been able to record a sketch video for a few weeks since I have been traveling in China visiting factories. Since my last video, a few of you requested that I sketch some softgoods. In today’s video I sketch up a backpack concept and show you a few key techniques including: backpack constructions, simulating leather, and simulating textiles in a rapid concept visualization. A few important notes on this sketch: First, notice how I start with very light line weight, even with this Papermate Flair pen. Only once I have the form and concept roughed in do I come back with heavier lines. Second, check out how minimally I use markers. This is a quick sketch. There is no need to over render. Simply indicate form and materials… I also got to use my favorite marker color, “Cinnamon Toast”! Lastly, notice the little details like stitching and pattern breaks. When you are working on a concept for a category of products, study that category. Take apart existing examples of products that are similar. Understanding how something is made will always make your ideas better.

Turn the sound on to hear me explain everything I’m doing.