Unexpected places your designs have shown up

Not so much unexpected but i constantly see my Frying pan and skillet at Price club / Costco and grocery stores being used to cook up the samples they make.

nice! That must be fun to see that pan in use all the time!

That tied in with free food makes me extremely :laughing: happy

I still have this toaster in my portfolio! I found it’s a great conversation piece, especially when talking about the orientation of the toast.

Samsung dehumidifier in The Latin American Cultural Museum in Seoul, South Korea…

and on the shelves at Costco under the manufacturer’s brand Winix with a few mods. (project story here…)

I’ve seen lots of my toys on TV including when Jay Leno put one in his mouth on the Tonight Show. I also have a whole collection of knockoffs that i treasure but my favorite is when people send me random pictures of my toys beat to hell and abandoned.

this guy was about to be washed down an NYC sewer grate

a landscaper unearthed this dude

this guy is glued to the bumper of a garbage truck

and this

just awesome

Saw a small storage case I designed on an episode of Dark Matter last week.

I have heard Tucker Viemeister speak a few times now, and he brings up this story of when he saw a knife he designed for OXO on the news as being used as a murder weapon!

I’m more a fan when they show up on magazine covers. :slight_smile: The Definitive BP9080x landed the cover of Sound & Vision this month…

I thought this was pretty interesting.
I developed a made in the usa line of molded TPE dog toys, they went in target and were a big seller.
We were told that the department was going to phase out TPE products and the line was dropped.
Two or Three years later i walk in to target right after a reset and they are using the discontinued product in their new department headers.

the disconnect between merchandizing, marketing, and store design … at least you got some good product photography out of it…

saw this clip on a tv show. I did the redesign for the hot air popper… perhaps i should have design a lock feature for the lid in hindsight…

I had two nice ones today. Right here in the banner above and an ad on an UpWorthy.com news story about the record number of women voted into the senate. Both links to our new sites that my teams designed and with the brand mark that I personally worked on.

I don’t want to freak you out about tracking cookies, but you know that ads appear on your sites based on the sites you’ve been to right?

Hyper-targeting baby.

Also, this would be a good time to pitch the Adblock Plus plugin which blocks ads from most sites. I didn’t even know Core had ads. :smiley:

If you want to really become sketched out, your mobile traffic, location data, and even voice info can and will be used to feed you ads.

I checked with marketing before I posted, the UpWorthy one was a media buy. The c77 one is part of retargeting.

I just found out that one of the products I have been working on will show up in a major video game release which I am very excited about. I feel like I am a car designer that got to do a Gran Trurimo concept car. They got samples and are doing 3d scans can’t wait to see it.

Still cookies. Different users get different ads.

+1 for Adblock Plus, BTW

R

Design engine was working with retired buyers from a major hardware outlet store. We were working financially on royalties. As a team we developed several products per month only later to find them on the shelf at the retailer. Asking the buyers what up with this they claimed this is a different skew. The Chinese manufacture changed the product slightly and the buyers saw that product as completely different product skew. Everyone has a different perspective however any product designer would find the resemblance hard to deny.

Made me think of how a DJ steels music and calls it sampling. Happens so much but from the buyer perspective its a competently different product.

SKU = Stock Keeping Unit