Explore the Shoapbox

Hey all,

Thank you for carving a few minutes out of your days to share your thoughts with me - your time and insight are incredibly helpful and valuable to me (and somehow, completely invaluable at the same time). I’m in the process of giving my whole portfolio a bit of a makeover; in retrospect, I see that in my excitement to keep within the comic book style, I ended up cutting out (or at least downplaying) most of the process and decisions that went into the designs. I reckon I got a bit too carried away with the whole idea, to my own detriment. I’ve gone back to square one and am aiming to tailor it towards a more appropriate audience. Sometime in the near future I should have another iteration of the Shoapbox to share with you, which I think will be less cringe-worthy and hopefully more binge-worthy.

That being said, and in keeping with the more recent comments, I expect it will remain slightly uncomfortable - at least in terms of being a bit out of the norm for an ID portfolio (nowhere near the level of ridiculousness present in the beta testing here though). I’m just trying to find that balance between my style and what potential employers are looking for - and it appears the overlap may be a bit smaller than anticipated. Which probably will lead to me sucking it up and toning down the bad jokes and candy coating, and accommodating more actual design (I guess that’s somewhat important after all) than I did on the first go-around. It’s all a process, right?

It certainly does, it almost make two much cents actually. I’ve been trying to explore the “fringes” of ID, if you will, to see if that one perfect niche will just pop out at me. It hasn’t quite happened yet, and I’m not going to rush it - I’m sure it will present itself when the time is right. But a job like the one you posted is definitely something that I could see myself enjoying; maybe not for the long haul, but I’ll never know if it’s the right fit if I don’t try it on. Thanks for sharing it! I find myself a bit overwhelmed sometimes in looking for job posts like that one - there are so many unique little pockets of interesting design that don’t fall into the mainstream that it can be hard to even know where to begin looking.

Thanks again everyone, I’m super grateful to have you all as a resource to consult. You’re the best.

Yours truly,

Jon