fusion360 anyone?

First I have to say that Solidworks has been the exact same price since day one. To say " their pricing is ridiculous" seems a bit odd to considering everything that comes with the software. Though one could argue that you might now use all of the different aspects. If it’s outside of your budget then that’s another question.

Now to the real point of Fusion 360… these guys at Autodesk literally just copied pasted SW features and put them into Fusion. This is neither good no bad just is… pricing wise it can’t be beat outside of OnShape. If it’s about surfacing then t-splines in Fusion is unique in the CAD world. Though don’t forget about Solidworks Industrial Design. A paired down version of some functionality from Catia. The additional items offered by Fusion (i.e. CAM, FEA…etc) add a nice touch.

What I will say about CAD software that’s trying to be Polygon/Sub-D modeling (though that’s not exactly what t-splines is) has not been done that style of modeling justice. It’s not exactly horrible but they just don’t do it right. When you look at software like Maya, Modo, zBrush, 3D Coat and the tools built in their it just lends itself to a much faster workflow. Things like edge weighting, pixar subD, 3D falloffs… lets just say that CAD software still has a long way to go.