ID sketching frustrations.

About how long did it take you to really dial sketching down?
For me it is different because I had always been drawing as a kid, and I intuitively started rendering objects in various materials.
So I had an advantage. To turn that into a professional ability to create design concept sketches using digital media I would say has taken me about 500 hours. Practice, repetition and refining your imagination skills are key.

Do you feel like you have to learn to draw each object or can you just draw any object at any time?
It is rather the aesthetic qualities I have to learn for new projects. For very organic, complex design languages it takes me some time to get a grip on how they ‘work’ spatially. When you have mastered enough sketching ingredients it allows you in the end to draw anything.

Rendering, How long did it take you to learn? Marker? Digital?
I still haven’t mastered marker rendering very well as I stepped to digital quite soon, driven by the company I was working at. And I am fine with that even though for some sketches markers work much nicer. Learning to decently render shadows and materials as well as developing my own style has taken about 200 hours.

Does anyone else get freaking frustrated on insta by looking at those super amazing digital renderings some godlike automotive designers are producing these days? Seriously.
I enjoy looking at those a lot and learn from them. I am also aware of the pitfall of overrendering or overdesigning - in the end it is about the quality of the entire project and sketching is only one way of developing a design.

Rate the importance each, Digital and Manual Sketching. Which do you find more difficult?