Bike Spotting

My bike I use for exercise. i like the flat top tube and the internally routed cabling

[quote="iab"Glued, couldn’t see any tread wear, valve cores were missing as they were used with extenders. Currently carefully stored in my dark dry basement. (Told you I am a Fred)[/quote]

Shhh!!! It might get dust on it!!

Love that you just went ahead and threw on some Dugast rubber for the artful dishevelment. What’s the story with the chainring? Gorgeous.

A couple shots from the fat tire world. Whistler bike park opened this past weekend. Safe to say not all these riders are check-cashing pros, but are probably really good riders. Not all of the bikes are new, but I chose a few of the better looking setups. Tubing design and graphics integration are strong on these two. Commencal (based in…Andorra I think?) always looks good, they are careful with making visual sense of the abstract geometries that DH bikes often require. Giant has come a looong way in both bike production and their brand statements, and they take good risks in their yearly colorways. By way of contrast look at some of the other machines in this gallery.

Full gallery link: People of Whistler Bike Park - Opening Day Edition - Pinkbike

Same here. Michelin Pro 2/3 all year round, and recently went to Specialized Armadillo Elites in that width because the local shop had them.

I like not getting flats, imagine that.

Thanks.

The chainring was a $10 swap purchase. Made for a 1/8 chain, I had to grind and file down the back of it for an hour to fit a 10-speed chain.

While it did not come with the bike, that chainring was “owned” by Umberto Dei. They used it extensively on their road bikes in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Look 795 Aero ‘Mondrian’ edition. Look have done Mondrian bikes in the past - this one adds more velocity to the primary colors, which gets away from the true artistic intent but seems to hang together. The stance of the bike looks incredibly uncomfortable (AKA, bro do you even aero)

They make many of the sub-components including cranks and pedals, equally blinged out. Complete build is $14,500!

What’s with the chain routing to above the seat stay?

Their rear suspension design with the high rear pivot causes a lot of slack in the chain as the shock compresses if it’s routed traditionally. They added a pulley to the front triangle to keep tension.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/First-Ride-Commencal-Supreme-DH-V4,360

Cool stuff, Though some road bikes are impressive for new user. You can find some new bikes from CyclingNinja.com is for sale | HugeDomains Hope you will find the best road bike from there.

When I was out in San Diego I saw a number of these Diamond frames. I guess an evolved take on the trek Y frame? Not sure if there’s any real benefit to the form… I’d imagine any weight lost from seat stay delete got rolled back into the top and down tubes.
custom1-e1442419576986.jpg

Actually, the Trek y-foil and the Diamond would likely be more aero than a traditional diamond frame. Even an “aero” version of a diamond frame. I like the “Diamond” brand on a y-foil design, quite ironic.

But the UCI (governing body of bike races) doesn’t like anything other than the diamond frame. It could be a tradition thing, it could be an aesthetic thing. Either way, the UCI is not having it.

There’s some aero benefit to getting rid of the seat tube although there is now nothing to shield the rear wheel. Plus the boundary layer of air moving forward off the rotating rear wheel creates some aero ‘churn’. However the main reason why beam bikes (see Softride) have been popular for triathletes is the suspension effect of the seat beam saving the back and legs of the athlete for the run…friends who have done several full length IM’s say its all about saving it for the last five miles of the marathon leg.

also, it looks cool as fuk!

yeah. fortunately, the popularity of triathlon is allowing some of the weird back into cycling where the UCI doesn’t care to look. :slight_smile:

I always wonder about the real cause of the UCI restrictions. It seemed pretty suspicious when they screwed around Obree back in the 90’s.

I kind of agree with them is the sense it should be about the athlete and not the bike. Since a bicycle is such a simple mechanism, it is easy to compare yesterday’s with today’s greats. The three major differences are road conditions, training methods and aero. Obree happened to be at a time of transition and as a designer you know, people hate change.

I suppose I could understand that argument. It would be fun if there was 1 equipment set that all participants had to use. Kind of like when they run Eddie Merckx races at the track - steel frame, toe cages, etc. I’d still like to see a super-modified class too, with the bleeding edge tech.

Here’s another one, maybe on the more common side of high-end. Moving aero flaps on the head tube and electronic shifting are both oddly UCI legal. haha.

Ya. UCI seems to be selective on which they do and don’t accept, especially when it comes to aero. I guess the y-foil was too early and they were still in the “I hate change” mode.

But they certainly relaxed the hour record rules, mostly rider position.

Here’s another interesting one… concept bike going the route of integrated everything. Reminds me of the Rael concept that Evan Solida did some years ago. The disc caliper fairings are kind of novel.

more details here EB16: Argon18 develops jet fighter tech to keep drag in check - Bikerumor
argon-18-FWD-Alpha-concept-aero-bike-drag-measuring-tech01-600x400.jpg

I like it. Thanks for posting. The fore and aft seatpost dampening is pretty cool.

But call me a curmudgeon, I have yet to see a compelling reason for disc brakes on a road bike. Even when wet, I can lock a wheel with traditional calipers. And maybe I’m not a princess, but I can’t feel any different modulation capabilities with disc over traditional. This bike seems to be going into convulsions trying to make a disc aero when Taurus had internal routing (with rod brakes no less) and “aero” calipers (rear is tucked under chain stay) since 1919.