Jobs after SCAD Industrial Design

Hello,
I have got acceptance from SCAD for masters in Industrial Design program.wanted to know how the course is and also how are the job opportunities after this course there
I wanted to verify this as I have lot of negatives abt SCAD regarding horrible Dorms but yet expensive, college being scam,and job opportunities not being that good.
Wondering if this information could be verified.

Akki,

Unfortunately it seems dorms are often not the greatest, is there any opportunity to live off campus? You might be able to save some money that way as well, not to mention have a bigger/more spacious/private space. However, I am not familiar with the area around SCAD so that would need some verification. Before I think anyone will be able to give you information about job opportunities, I think the biggest question is what do you want to get out of a masters? What is your current undergrad degree in, and have you been working in the industry as an ID’er? I think at a masters level it may be important to define what your aspirations are and decide if there will be much benefit. Knowledge is always good in my opinion, but you may find yourself just wanting to get more experience and learning on the job.

Best of luck

AV

Hello,
I have done my undergraduate in mechanical engineering. And I don’t have any industrial experience but wat I am looking from the course is to fine tune on my design skills and get exposure in that area. Since the colg fee is quite high…so its quite nessary to look at career prospect in order to pay back the amount.

Akki33 there a quite a few threads on schools here, just dig a little.

From my experience the main aspects that employers care about are the experiences you have, the skill-set you offer and the fit of your personality within their existing team. Where you go to school doesn’t (and shouldn’t) matter if you are offering what they need.

I graduated with a BA in Industrial Design from SCAD in 2012. As far as the dorm situation goes…I would recommend finding your own apartment or a room in a house. It will cost a fraction of the price of the dorms and you’ll have plenty of space for projects (space is scarce in the dorms). Talk to Dallas Sicay at Sicay Management. He has decently priced places all over town and takes great care of his tenants. I rented from him for 2 years and never had an issue.

I had an overall great experience at SCAD, but there was a shortage of decent professors when I attended and I feel somewhat jipped in that aspect. Many of the fantastic professors teaching now, such as Owen Foster, had just started late into my college career, but I’m sure other great professors have joined the team. The facilities are top-notch, including cintique pc labs, 3D printers, CNC machines and a huge array of metal and woodworking equipment.

I can’t say much about the job opportunities, but it does seem that SCAD advertises more opportunity than exists in reality. I have yet to find employment in ID, though I haven’t given up hope. My after-college years have been mostly odd-jobs and working for CBS radio (which just sold all its stations, dangit). If you decide to go with SCAD, my best advice is to be as active as possible in the ID community, make contacts, and attend every job related event. If you have any questions PM me.

First I will say I don’t know that you are asking the right questions here. Choosing your school is a personal decision that should look at your entire educational experience. Judging a school on the dorms is a bit ridiculous. All art schools are expensive, all are going to be competitive and finding a job is going to be challenging, and all are going to have their own quirks. I graduated from SCAD in 2002. I have had a pretty great career working my way through many corporate positions to now being the Sr Manager of Global Design Innovation at PepsiCo.

You have to realize that no matter where you go, you get out of what you put in. Your career is your responsibility, not the schools. The school only gives you the tools to learn your craft. If you expect the school to link you with potential employers then you are going to fail no matter if you go to SCAD or somewhere else. They will give you sponsored project opportunities and introduce you to industry professionals, but thats as far as they can take it. You have to put in the hard work to build your craft, network with others and build your career.

So what I would tell you is to go visit the school. Make a list of all the things you expect out of a school and where you would like to spend the next 4 years of your life. Get a tour of the ID department and ask lots of questions. Then move on to the next school and do the same.

J

hello everyone my account has some issue so coudnt reply. i have chosen SCAD thanks for you opinion and i did look into the threads and it was helpful.and its a better option to stay off campus so wil do that. and regarding jobs still worried about that but with the options what i have i think this is the best option.

Good to hear.

Again, your career is your responsibility. If you want a job after graduation and you put in the work you will get there. Going to SCAD has nothing to do with those results. They just teach you the tools to get you there. How you use them is up to you.

J

School is like purchasing all the tools and skills you need to build a house. Can you build a house? Sure. Can you convince someone else to pay you to build a house? That part is kind of on you.

The thing to think about when looking at a school is not will they get me a job, the question is will they help me attain all of the skills I need so I can go get a job?

Just my .02, but in addition to attaining the skills, a school can also provide the door to the person who will evaluate the skills. That is typically a better methodology in getting a job than a cold reply to an ad.