Is industrial design a desk job?

It really depends on the place. Is it a “design factory” with people just pumping out final designs all day or a “design studio” which is more of what bcpid described. Other places are more research and strategy oriented where the final deliverable is always just a powerpoint of recommendations.

Everywhere I’ve worked there has tended to be phases of things, stretches of time you would be in CAD, stretches of time you would be brainstorming and sketching as a team, stretches of time in the field doing research with consumers, retailers, and testing competitor product. I like to have enough time to get in the flow of something, where you are not shifting gears every day, but there is enough variety to make interesting.

Research the place you want to work, ask questions. I have interviewed at several “design factories” and I avoided them like the plague. Likewise I’ve always had an allergic reaction to the design strategy houses (I want to make stuff). Some people like that though, so to each their own. The studio model has always fit me well.