Mid-Career Advice

Just wanted to check back in and follow up some on this topic. I really appreciate the advice so far.

I have finished my cross country move and have started to get settled into my new job. Finally getting settled into to my new routine has let me get back to thinking about my options and such.

It’s funny how timing works out on everything. Maybe it’s life telling me I need to switch things up? Back in 2010 when I had just accepted the position I recently left, I had received a job offer less then a week after starting that job. It was for a position designing children’s furniture. That would have required a cross country move, and quite frankly, I wasn’t in a position to take up the job at that point. Fast forward to day #2 on my new position. I was received an email out of the blue and was offered a full-time teaching opportunity at a top 10 architecture program. Again, the timing is horrible. I just moved across country for a 2-year stint that allows no flexibility in making the teaching gig work. So I had to turn down this job which is something I’ve always wanted to do.

After being on the job for a few weeks I’m starting to feel that maybe I really do need a change in profession. The new job is going well, I have the skills required for what I’m doing, the people are all nice, project type change is nice, etc… I am just finding my heart is not in it.

So for now, In my free time I’m going to work hard on polishing up my sketching skills, relearn some software rendering techniques, do some reading on other areas of design and just see what happens. I’ll be ready to make the switch to something else by the time my significant other finishes up her degree.

Iab, 555… that’s like a dream type of setup. design, build, deliver all under one shop is pretty awesome.