Portfolio critique needed

Hi Sara,

From what I see you have good potential to be a professional designer. This is very much a designer’s portfolio and to gear it more to being a consultant you need to show more understanding of design process, methodology and strategy. To make a design a success there needs to be a careful understanding and balancing of many factors with multiple stakeholders as well as a strong idea or vision and if you can link your projects to such an understanding better it will help you in preparing a story for becoming a design consultant.

I see your sensitivity and care for design in your projects - yet you don’t have a flagship project that stands out.
Current lamps fitting SAD-therapy can be much approved in design and usefulness so your approach is very refreshing. The controls and timer are beautifully integrated. Having an integrated control may make it more natural - with vertical sliding over the frame mapped to the intensity, and rotating to snap the control into on/off/pause position or a simple squeeze button. Next to the results I also want to know about your design thinking and analytic insights gathered from research - your descriptions are too minimal to give me an understanding. For example, you have to explain that OLED fits the light requirements for SAD therapy, you have to explain why you use light, as well as why you chose for this aesthetic. I like how it functions as a wake-up light but I find the aesthetic not very fitting for home interiors. Also you can go much deeper in user research to find underlying causes to the symptoms, rather than medicalizing it as SAD. It leads to very different and often surprising results.

I like your design for the eyeglasses but I wonder if this form fits the idea of having customization determine the appeal of a product rather than a predefined ‘designer signature’ shape. The project lacks a clear brief and the result is a bit unrefined so this is presented more an exercise than an actual project.

PP is a nice material for indoor lights if used well. Your approach to saddle shapes is nice though they will work better when used more subtly, for example introducing asymmetry and shape variations into the single sheet would have made the design much more interesting. I like your hands-on approach - take care to make all objects and sketches you make as presentable as possible from the start. It is good that you picked a strong idea and stuck with it, then the task is to develop and refine it. I am missing an in-context visualization of your lamp - the only way to truly show the quality of your design.

I love the laptop sleeve project - very nice process and result. How many hours did you put into it?

Then a few general remarks are to be careful with spelling, and adding a title page and page numbering, especially if you would hand or send it out.