Yo: sketch videos

Hey Yo,

Loving this thread so far. Maybe we could see something like a leatherman or other multi tool (with a theme? Starfleet Army Knife anyone?). Anyways, do you think you could slow it down a bit when you get to the markering part? Iā€™m looking to study your technique for laying down marker.

Thanks!

will do. Working on Alejandroā€™s request nowā€¦

here is that sneaker sketch. Iā€™ll slow the next one down a bit. Maybe add some voice over.

This is a decent example of a light ideation level concept sketch of a hiking product. Ballpoint, sharpie,flair pen, prisma markers and white pencils. Original time on this was 24 minutes. This is a good example of a sketch level I would use to show ideas to other designers and developers. At this pace you can do 15-16 concepts in a day to really iterate around a central idea.

Nice Mike! Thanks for making the video!
Iā€™m looking forward to the next one :smiley:

Itā€™s great to see someone like you taking the time to prepare them!

Cheers!

you are very welcome. They are fun to do. A little stressful too. I threw the lat two I was working on out, I just wasnā€™t happy with them. But I wanted to publish one today.

A very random doodle today, but it is my birthday, so Iā€™ll sketch what I feel like! :slight_smile: I wanted to show how understanding a basic, like how to sketch a simple chrome ball, can lead to almost anywhere. In this case a spherical robot jumping with joy named the ā€œDeath Ballā€ā€¦ have fun out there. Not my best sketch, but kind of fun.

Happy Birthday! :smiley:

[ Deleted ]

Keno, it is just a metal clipboard I bought at Staples. Really nice for keeping overlays in place or when rotating the paper.

Definitely going to give the ā€˜Hover Bubbleā€™ meditative sketch a go as a warmup next time! Love that idea!

Sophie. Everyone has there own version of a ā€œHover Bubbleā€. I read that Freeman Thomas had a car that was his ā€œdefault sketchā€. That default sketch became the Audi TT! :slight_smile:

Find something that you love to doodle and try pushing it to the next level. It is a fun exercise. Here is my latest hover bubble.

Ok folks, Iā€™m back. Sorry for the gap of a few weeks there. The time just flew byā€¦ but hopefully it will be worth your while. This is my first video with a voice over! So turn the sound on if you want to hear me walking through the sketch step by step.

Today Iā€™m showing a simple concept sketch technique using just three drawing tools, a bic ballpoint pen, a sharpie, and a white prismacolor pencil. I use this technique on products that have a strong material contrast story. It really shows off part breaks well. The subject here is a menā€™s razor. Give it a watch and let me know what you think. If you have any questions about what I did, or have any suggestions for future videos, just let me know below!

Loving these videos Yo! Your voice over really helped to point out parts of your process that I wouldnā€™t have taken away on my own. Thanks for doing these videos and sharing your process with us.

As a learner, seeing what you did with this 3 tool sketch process was really cool. Iā€™m going to have to try this out and get some practice with the white pencil!

Thanks Gerry. I really liked how that video turned out. Iā€™m going to keep reusing the bumpers on it too.

In todayā€™s video Iā€™m demonstrating a simple pencil technique of using not only the ip of the pencil, but also the side of the pencil to create dimension and depth. Of course using my favorite Prismacolor here today, taking care to keep the pencil sharp throughout the sketch. Have a watch with the sound on to hear me explaining everything. Comment below with any questions and Iā€™d love to hear your suggestions for future videosā€¦ and if you feel like it, give it a like and share on YouTube! :slight_smile:

[ Deleted ]

Keno, makes sense. Ironically, Iā€™ve never been much one for exercises. Iā€™ve always preferred to jump right in to a full on complex object to drawā€¦ which of course means I did things wrong for yearsā€¦ Iā€™ll try to do a perspective breakdown next.

Last week I posted a video showing a simple tip of the pencil/side of the Prismacolor pencil sketch technique on a tea kettle. Here is an example of a bit more of a complex form, a streamlined hyper car. With this relatively simple technique you can communicate a lot of form.

see the video above.

I havenā€™t been able to record a sketch video for a few weeks since I have been traveling in China visiting factories. Since my last video, a few of you requested that I sketch some softgoods. In todayā€™s video I sketch up a backpack concept and show you a few key techniques including: backpack constructions, simulating leather, and simulating textiles in a rapid concept visualization. A few important notes on this sketch: First, notice how I start with very light line weight, even with this Papermate Flair pen. Only once I have the form and concept roughed in do I come back with heavier lines. Second, check out how minimally I use markers. This is a quick sketch. There is no need to over render. Simply indicate form and materialsā€¦ I also got to use my favorite marker color, ā€œCinnamon Toastā€! Lastly, notice the little details like stitching and pattern breaks. When you are working on a concept for a category of products, study that category. Take apart existing examples of products that are similar. Understanding how something is made will always make your ideas better.

Turn the sound on to hear me explain everything Iā€™m doing.

No replies on that last one. Are you guys digging these, or too obvious? I made another today.

Sketching a wheel can make or break your car sketch. In this video I explain the way I simply indicate a 5 spoke wheel. Whether you love to draw cars or not, this is a great practice exercise for two of reasons: First, you need to practice eclipses. Second, you practice the simple act of iterating on a known object. Taking something simple and defined like a five spoke wheel and quickly giving it a unique twist is a great mental exercise. As you go through this video I want you to notice how much contrast Iā€™m giving this sketch through both line weight and choice of drawing tool. It can be scary to add this much contrast to your sketch. I remember when the fear of messing up a sketch held me back from adding this much contrast. Try to remember that the worst that can happen is you screw it up and you have to put a clean sheet of paper over top and start over. Itā€™s no biggie, I screw up all the time. One think that helps to force me to add this much contrast is to switch drawing tools. Note I switch from the Papermate Flair pen to the Sharpie. This forces me to go bold, and the sketch is better for it. Try switching drawing tools like that in your sketches, no matter what the subject is.

Yo, Yo!

Loving the little minute videos. I like how you cover some of the real basic fundamentals like line weight, perspective, pencil technique, marker basics etc etc, while not JUST covering the basics. You cover at least a few fundamental ideas AND keep it interesting. Quite hard to do IMO.

For some future ideas:

I know Iā€™m not alone in saying, I always love seeing those juicy sketch pages. I think it would make a pretty cool video if you time lapsed some ideation pagesā€¦ maybe for one of these upcoming sketchwars weeks? Or even maybe something on the simpler side for the videoā€™s sake?

Other than that, Iā€™m just waiting patiently for your next video.

cool, thank you for the suggestions1 Iā€™ll try to work them in.