Yo-folio>> Updated

Fair enough and good rationale.

A ‘before/after’ page for sound united would be more appropriate if/when you move on from that company. :slight_smile:

Slippy, BTW, I’m with you when it comes to recent grads doing that… and perhaps I’m laying down a double standard for myself, but I think I was interviewing someone for a position above a director level I would understand it… though I have to say I have been thinking about it.

Also, I made some large changes to the front page today.

1. Finally had a chance to correct that mistake on the timeline (been traveling for most of the month, so just haven’t had time!)

2. made the books clickable links

3. moved some of the heavier text and Venn diagrams to the ABOUT page, and pulled up some “featured projects”. Eventually I want to do all of the projects bars like that with colored backgrounds… when I have more time… (excuses, I know, I know…)

I still need to add the Converse page, some of the sketchbook pages, Identity and Soft Goods pages.

Also, I just can’t figure out how to give more space in the drop down menus in EverWeb, and that odd issue might make me leave for a wordpress… the small things can be so frustrating.

Let me know if you see anything or have any other suggestions.

[ Deleted ]

Thanks Keno, I’ll give it a shot. EverWeb is a WYSIWYG type web creation app. Will that jack with the overall app, or will I have to do that every time? I made a topic on their help forum and the lack of response is making me think they don’t have a way to adjust it.

Also, just looked back at comments on this thread going back to 2005. Amazing… and a little hilarious.

[ Deleted ]

Thanks Keno. Between your advice and the EverWeb forums I got it fixed. You’ve got to love the deep knowledge you can get from forums.

I also moved some other things back to the about page to keep the front page a little lighter.

The EverWeb forums are pretty good.

added a bunch of content this afternoon:

2016 sketchbook (which you have seen if you follow the doodling page in the sketching forum :slight_smile: )

Footwear sketchbook, a collection of some of my favorite footwear sketches from over the years, I need to ad more, but I wanted to get it started:
http://michaelditullo.com/work-deep-pages/footwear-pages/footwear-concepts.html

Converse, select projects:
http://michaelditullo.com/work-deep-pages/footwear-pages/converse.html

I also added video content on the Polk, Definitive Technology, Jordan and Nike pages.

added 2013 sketchbook.

While the work is obviously pretty good, I find the presentation of it to be a bit overwhelming. Maybe try pairing down the number of projects and simplify the layout. I know you mentioned that your intent is to err on the side of maximalism, but I wonder if there’s a way to do that in a way that’s less overwhelming?

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt or maybe show it to other people/friends and see if they have similar reactions.

I hear what you are saying, on the flip side, it has worked for me for the past 20 years. Even as a junior designer I’d come in with books and books of work, giant posters showing concepts mapped out and strategy… I always got an offer, frequently on the spot. So perhaps what is the accepted norm needs to be challenged. When I see a portfolio with only a few slides of radiuses boxes in it always leaves me wanting, or even worse is just forgettable. When someone looks at my work, I want them to come away with the idea “holy crap, this guy can and has designed everything.”… and has done so for some pretty big brands.

When I interviewed at frog I didn’t even bring a presentation, just 2 suitcases filled with production product, and told them to pick any one and I’d walk them through the story.

It is a pretty odd approach though, so it is worth questioning.

updated a bunch more content.

1. 2012 and earlier sketch book (going all the way back to 1998)
  2. additional Jordan, nike, and Converse work
  3. additional CE work
  4. added sketch videos in tutorials
  5. added core77 conference keynote on about page
  6. added video to BOOM page

feel free to tool around: http://www.michaelditullo.com

This is one of the images I added to the other CE page. It is pretty hilarious now. This was from 2003. The iPod was new. No one saw the iPhone coming. This was a concept for a “digital wallet” for PayPal. The idea is that it would be a complete digital wallet and even have a digital version of your driver’s license and passport, al unlocked with a thumbprint scan. This render was featured in Mobile PC magazine in a future concept issue… while a lot of the ideas contained within it became a reality via Apple and Samsung pay, the idea of a stand alone device seams ludicrous now… hey, sometimes we get it wrong. I did follow this up 2 years later when the iPhone came out in a smart phone concept called “The One” that integrated all of these features, plus streaming movies, and was the core processor for both home and work, basically a phone plus a massive solid state hard drive with better GPU.

The amount of different products that you have designed is inspirational!
I bet it is great fun to look back on the stuff you did a few years ago and reminisce

I am a particular fan of the bridge sketch from the 2012 sketchbook :slight_smile:

Thanks man. My goal is to design as many different things as possible, even if they only get to sketch form. It never hurts to put out there in the universe what you want to do.

Ah, that bridge sketch. I like that as well. It was for a competition in Portland to design a bridge over the Willamette river by PortArt magazine in response to the cities approved design that the art and design community disapproved of. I think my sketch came in first or second place, but the bridge was built as originally proposed. Still fun to imagine though. Poland is sometimes called Bridge Town or Bridge City because there are so many bridges. I pulled inspiration from some of the more iconic ones.

Here is that sketchbook:

That’s a really good mind set to have - I often find myself disregarding something that I think of because there is no end goal (which goes against everything I was taught at university - I think that might be bad habits picked up in industry starting to set in).
I am definitely going to take a leaf out of your book and just sketch down everything and really push outside of my comfort zone.

Congratulations on the placing for the design, its a real shame that the disapproved design was built instead though! :confused:

On that note this one made me chuckle from 2013s sketchbook. It’s almost as if this was the first client review concept sketch for an electric skateboard that eventually became the “hoverboard” when it reached the market :wink:

actually that was done for Anvl (then Brooklyn Workshop)

Now I’m frustrated. How the heck do you have time to build a website, sketch, run a design dept?

I just redid my website the fairly hard way. I downloaded a template from god knows where, tweaked it and then spent weeks getting it to actually run on my website! I learned alot, but I’m really thinking wordpress or squarespace from now on, or hire someone else, which is what I assumed you did! Great job!

I’d like to know tips on time management and using your time intelligently, as well… seems as though I spend more time doing less than you do!

Thanks Ray, I actually did it myself using EverWeb. The stock templates it came with were pretty crap, but it is a pretty simple drag and drop program so I was able to make my own thing pretty easily. It took about 5x the amount of time I thought it would. I’m not sure why I feel so allergic to Square Space or Wiix (which is awesome BTW). I just can’t get passed the whole monthly fee thing… must be the old man genX’er in me. I pay for web hosting already.

LOL, time management. Let me see, well, I don’t have kids, so I should say my time demands are probably a lot different than most people. Second, I don’t watch much TV. Maybe 15 mins of the news during breakfast and 30-60 mins at night, tops, and a lot of times I sketch during that. So that 400 hours people put into Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or whatever is all time I get for other stuff. Lastly, design is my profession as well as my hobby.

The list of things I like to do is short:

1. work
  2. get dinner/drinks with friends (who tend to be other designers, artists, musicians…)
  3. go to museums, art shows, car shows, and concerts with said friends
  4. design more stuff…

I luckily don’t have any expensive time suck hobbies like snowboarding or what have you, other than cars I guess, but I keep that under control :slight_smile:

Things I try to do regularly.

1. sketch at least one hour a day not for work related projects. Even if it is just doodles I don’t show anyone else.
  2. meet people. Relationships are a lot of what we do. I’ve gotten so many fun projects and jobs just by talking to people and talking about design in an articulate way.
  3. say yes. There are always things we say no to because we just don’t feel like doing it. We rationalize it of course, but usually we ae just tired. i try to ignore that. Right now I’m on the board of directors for a photography festival. I don’t really know anything about photography or festivals, but they asked and I thought I’d learn something so I said yes :slight_smile:

Not having kids gives you an extra 4 hours a day minimum + weekends.

I went even further with my website. I was editing the HTML and Javascript in notepad. The hardest thing was understanding icons.