Yo: sketch videos

Brilliant! Thanks for the upload Yo, you make it look so easy!

Using underlays is something that I tend not to do unless I’m working on an exploded sketch or something of that nature, but I can see it definitely helps to get the initial design down and then use overlays to finalise.

I’ll have to make this more of a standard technique I think! :slight_smile:

Definitely give it a shot. It takes the pressure off of having to think of everything in the same sketch. I find it really helpful.

Sometimes when I just need to sketch, but I don’t want to think to much about it, I draw what I call a “Hover Bubble”. Just a cute little bubble of tech. They are a bit meditative. I always feel better after.

Nice videos Mike, thanks for sharing! Nice beats too!
I really feel like sketching after watching a couple of those!

I’d love to see some perspectives of sneakers :smiley: The bubble looks cool, I usually warm up with some 3/4 car/truck, just to play around with some ellipses and lines before getting my hands into something more serious.

Hey Yo,

Loving this thread so far. Maybe we could see something like a leatherman or other multi tool (with a theme? Starfleet Army Knife anyone?). Anyways, do you think you could slow it down a bit when you get to the markering part? I’m looking to study your technique for laying down marker.

Thanks!

will do. Working on Alejandro’s request now…

here is that sneaker sketch. I’ll slow the next one down a bit. Maybe add some voice over.

This is a decent example of a light ideation level concept sketch of a hiking product. Ballpoint, sharpie,flair pen, prisma markers and white pencils. Original time on this was 24 minutes. This is a good example of a sketch level I would use to show ideas to other designers and developers. At this pace you can do 15-16 concepts in a day to really iterate around a central idea.

Nice Mike! Thanks for making the video!
I’m looking forward to the next one :smiley:

It’s great to see someone like you taking the time to prepare them!

Cheers!

you are very welcome. They are fun to do. A little stressful too. I threw the lat two I was working on out, I just wasn’t happy with them. But I wanted to publish one today.

A very random doodle today, but it is my birthday, so I’ll sketch what I feel like! :slight_smile: I wanted to show how understanding a basic, like how to sketch a simple chrome ball, can lead to almost anywhere. In this case a spherical robot jumping with joy named the “Death Ball”… have fun out there. Not my best sketch, but kind of fun.

Happy Birthday! :smiley:

[ Deleted ]

Keno, it is just a metal clipboard I bought at Staples. Really nice for keeping overlays in place or when rotating the paper.

Definitely going to give the ‘Hover Bubble’ meditative sketch a go as a warmup next time! Love that idea!

Sophie. Everyone has there own version of a “Hover Bubble”. I read that Freeman Thomas had a car that was his “default sketch”. That default sketch became the Audi TT! :slight_smile:

Find something that you love to doodle and try pushing it to the next level. It is a fun exercise. Here is my latest hover bubble.

Ok folks, I’m back. Sorry for the gap of a few weeks there. The time just flew by… but hopefully it will be worth your while. This is my first video with a voice over! So turn the sound on if you want to hear me walking through the sketch step by step.

Today I’m showing a simple concept sketch technique using just three drawing tools, a bic ballpoint pen, a sharpie, and a white prismacolor pencil. I use this technique on products that have a strong material contrast story. It really shows off part breaks well. The subject here is a men’s razor. Give it a watch and let me know what you think. If you have any questions about what I did, or have any suggestions for future videos, just let me know below!

Loving these videos Yo! Your voice over really helped to point out parts of your process that I wouldn’t have taken away on my own. Thanks for doing these videos and sharing your process with us.

As a learner, seeing what you did with this 3 tool sketch process was really cool. I’m going to have to try this out and get some practice with the white pencil!

Thanks Gerry. I really liked how that video turned out. I’m going to keep reusing the bumpers on it too.

In today’s video I’m demonstrating a simple pencil technique of using not only the ip of the pencil, but also the side of the pencil to create dimension and depth. Of course using my favorite Prismacolor here today, taking care to keep the pencil sharp throughout the sketch. Have a watch with the sound on to hear me explaining everything. Comment below with any questions and I’d love to hear your suggestions for future videos… and if you feel like it, give it a like and share on YouTube! :slight_smile:

[ Deleted ]

Keno, makes sense. Ironically, I’ve never been much one for exercises. I’ve always preferred to jump right in to a full on complex object to draw… which of course means I did things wrong for years… I’ll try to do a perspective breakdown next.

Last week I posted a video showing a simple tip of the pencil/side of the Prismacolor pencil sketch technique on a tea kettle. Here is an example of a bit more of a complex form, a streamlined hyper car. With this relatively simple technique you can communicate a lot of form.

see the video above.